another tree job and some saws?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Howdy,
The other day I posed a vid of a white pine I felled. Well, the guy's neighbor asked me to take down a small cedar and trim up some other trees for him. I did that today, and as usual, didn't charge nearly enough. Still, he was a neat little 93 year old guy - very friendly.

Anyway, he mentioned that he had a couple chainsaws that he doesn't use anymore, and said that when it got a little warmer, we could take a look at them and see if I wanted them. (I'm assuming there'll be money involved - not a giveaway). He said one was a Poulan, another was unnamed, and a third was an electric saw (I'm hoping it's a nice 'lipstick' saw, just like StihlSawing).

So the question is, what should I look at in these saws? What if they don't start? (I'll bring fresh gas and oil). Your advice?

All I can add is that a pre '85-90 Poulan were wicked excellent saws. At his age he probably stored them full to preserve the gaskets that were, at that time, prone to dry rot if stored dry. dump that varnish out before giving 'em a rip.

Most guys would make a serious bid if they had good compression...but ask yourself. Do you really want a saw without a chain break?

We have an 041 Farmboss that's a great saw but no chain break...still use it but the angst factor is cranked up. Still they can make a fine backup saw ...and all serious cutters need a backup.

Nice job on removing that Pine btw. I would have balked because of the houses.

Back