Another twist to the 7900 vs 460 debate...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just fer fun. If you had a reputable Stihl dealer and a good Dolmar dealer in your town, both equidistant from your home AND you could get a 460 or a 7900 for the same price, which would you buy? I know the 7900 is irresistable (it certainly was for me) when I factored in the bang-for-buck factor. But what if the playing field (the field meaning "price"in this case) were leveled? I'd be interested in responses from 7900 owners and those who are considering buying. This very question entered my mind as I was looking for a big saw.

Nothing good will come from this....................

my .02, I would buy a 460 only for two reasons, I have not run a 7900 and don't have a bod word to say about it.

1) availability of parts, aftermarket and factory, just to easy to get them and hop the saw up easily.

2) I am still leary of the dealer network colapsing, I hope I am wrong, but this is the second go around for them

Andy

Paul, that's a photo worth embedding!!!:rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

attachment.php

Does the 7900 not have a side adjust chain tensioner? And what brand bar is that, I really want to know?
Andy

hmmmm

I dunno. I've always heard good things about Dolmars. I'd at least give one a try. Good specs, really really nice looking saw. I think the neck has it right though about service and support. I'd be worried about that. If it broke and the dealer was gone, it'd be a b1tc4 to get someone familiar with it to work on it and get parts.

I've been thinking about a 7900 lately, but here's what I have come up with to stop me from buying one....

1.) All my other saws are Stihl, so B&C interchangability becomes an issue (Yes, I know that there are adapters for bars, but...this still hasn't stopped my wishes for a 372XP....)

2.) Parts availability...Just do a quick ebay search, and you'll see what I mean.

3.) Dealer support...Local dealer won't even bother to help with the larger saws....:bang:

4.) That Dolmar Orange color reminds me of the after effects of a late night bar crawl, whereas the Stihl Orange and White reminds me of this outfit that my GF has........ well, let's not go into that...:laugh:

What I have been considering is finding a burnt up 460, purchasing a Big Bore P&C from Bailey's, and then having Ben at NWCS give it a workover. I estimate $100 for the saw, $110 for the P&C after shipping, $300 for Ben's work & shipping, and then $40-$50 for some Misc. parts (bearing, seals, hoses, etc...), so I would have approx $560 in it. But.......I still haven't gone that far....

Anyway, FWIW,

Andy

Last edited:
Good post Andy, but I would figure in anothe $100 for the finished product, just because! (The voice of experiance on this one)
Andy

Hi,

I would go for the 460 if only because of the fact that none of the forestry workers/companies here use Dolmar even though they are made only 141 miles away from my door.

If the people who depend on the saws don't touch them who I am to question their decision?

Bye

The 7900 holds a lot of interest for me, but I'd probably go w/ the 460.

Bar interchangeability is a plus - even though an adapter is possible - and my dealer orders Stihl parts just about every day and is within 3 miles of me. Both are lighter than my 066 so any difference in weight between 'em is more academic than compelling.
I don't run saws long enough to care about vibes.
I might look at it differently if I were felling all day every day for work...or I might at that point put even MORE importance on my dealer...dunno.

I'm trying to limit considerations on price - it seems to mislead an otherwise logical thought process for me...

Chaser

Andy's 46

If your going to spend $600 why not buy a brand new saw? You'd have a warranty, wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down or tuning out the bugs. Do your small mods to it. Heck for $700 you can buy a brand new 460 magnum. That's a bangin saw dude, 6hp. I'd think about that unless yur gonna go racin with it or something. Just an fyi...

ciscoguy01 said:
If your going to spend $600 why not buy a brand new saw? You'd have a warranty, wouldn't have to worry about it breaking down or tuning out the bugs. Do your small mods to it. Heck for $700 you can buy a brand new 460 magnum. That's a bangin saw dude, 6hp. I'd think about that unless yur gonna go racin with it or something. Just an fyi...

A brand new 460 for $700?? :eek: That would essentially destroy the premise of this topic.

First off I hope we dont have to pay the higher price of the stihl saw. If we can pay the lower cost of the Dolmar saw would be nice. Because I would really hate to have to pay the stihl inflated prices for my Dolmar 7900. Funny how some will pay hundreds more for less saw for a stihl name. I vote 7900!

I have been lusting for a 7900 a long time, and if everything around the saws were equal, incuding close by servicing dealer, I would probably go for it....:blob2:

...but in real world I have ruled out Dolmar entirely, and would settle for the 460. ;)

Latest posts

Back