Another twist to the 7900 vs 460 debate...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
Does the 7900 not have a side adjust chain tensioner? And what brand bar is that, I really want to know?
Andy

Tensioner.jpg

litefoot said:
A brand new 460 for $700?? :eek: That would essentially destroy the premise of this topic.

I was just saying, that's all. They are both comparable saws. And before sinking $600 into a broken one, you can buy a brand new one for just a little more. You can buy a 440 for in the $600 range also which is also closer. I do agree about the dolmar's though. I wonder what they cost. I don't know of a dealer anywhere in these here parts so I'd guess I couldn't buy one w/out driving like 100 miles or something silly like that... Ok, sooo, I just called the dolmar dealer and priced a new 7900. $750. It's right inline with the 460, but it has .3hp more than the stihl. FYI..

Last edited:
1) availability of parts, aftermarket and factory, just to easy to get them and hop the saw up easily.

2) I am still leary of the dealer network colapsing, I hope I am wrong, but this is the second go around for them

Andy
I agree.
The 460 is a proven saw with dealers and parts are everywhere. With Dolmar dealer coverage is sparce and the parts distribution network is suspect.
It sucks to be dead in the water while waiting for a part to come in. Been there done that.

Dead in Water?

bwalker said:
I agree.
The 460 is a proven saw with dealers and parts are everywhere. With Dolmar dealer coverage is sparce and the parts distribution network is suspect.
It sucks to be dead in the water while waiting for a part to come in. Been there done that.

Ummm, if i had those chicks in your avatar around me, I think the sawing could wait for the parts to come in, lmfao... Matter of fact I'd tell them to take their sweet time...

ciscoguy01 said:
I was just saying, that's all. They are both comparable saws. And before sinking $600 into a broken one, you can buy a brand new one for just a little more. You can buy a 440 for in the $600 range also which is also closer. I do agree about the dolmar's though. I wonder what they cost. I don't know of a dealer anywhere in these here parts so I'd guess I couldn't buy one w/out driving like 100 miles or something silly like that... Ok, sooo, I just called the dolmar dealer and priced a new 7900. $750. It's right inline with the 460, but it has .3hp more than the stihl. FYI..

The 7900 is a great saw indeed, I won't take anything away from it!!!

The reason for spending the $600, is you get the performance of a 660, a $1200ish saw, for half. And if the builder does it right, it is a new saw on the inside, which is what really matters to me! I hate taking out a new saw and scratching it up, I don't mind if it doesn't look so good to start with, but runs like a banshee!
Andy

computeruser said:
7900. More power, less weight (oh-so-slightly), fewer vibes, and an all-around nice saw.

Now if it was 7900 or 660, that might take some thinking.

I am to believe that the 7900 has more vibes then the 460.
Check some other post about this.
Now that Husky has the 390xp I would lean that way Less vibes then both.

Now on the fair side of this post. Dolmar is in a struggle to be a big company
This does not come over night. With out customer support they have nothing.
The dealers I have seen on this site are top notch and are willing to do anything to help.
If Dolmar is having a problem with parts support I am sure they are working on it. But how far can you streach a buck if you were to start a business.

Touche

sawinredneck said:

The reason for spending the $600, is you get the performance of a 660, a $1200ish saw, for half. And if the builder does it right, it is a new saw on the inside, which is what really matters to me! I hate taking out a new saw and scratching it up, I don't mind if it doesn't look so good to start with, but runs like a banshee!
Andy

I got nothing to argue with that, lol. Perty good point ya got thar'... Hell, I usually paint all my saws up and make them look like junk anyways. Deters people's bad thoughts and all that...

Cut4fun said:
First off I hope we dont have to pay the higher price of the stihl saw. If we can pay the lower cost of the Dolmar saw would be nice. Because I would really hate to have to pay the stihl inflated prices for my Dolmar 7900. Funny how some will pay hundreds more for less saw for a stihl name. I vote 7900!

Again, I don't have an problem with the 7900, I am leary of the dealer network colapsing again. I hope it doesn't, as I think new blood is good for the industry.
Andy

sawinredneck said:

Andy
That reminds me of a time I was out 4 wheeling with my cj5 and a guy yells out saying "hey thats a nice jeep" I immediately trew some mud on it and said
"Hows that"?

sawinredneck said:

Andy

Only problem I see here is you then gotta mod the 660 for another $250 or it just sets on the shelf... I mean you weren't trying to imply that by running a modded 460 you'd actually opt out of owning a 660 were you?? :dizzy:

What kind of influence are you trying to be here anyhow? :mad:

For every saw you leave stock (except for muffler of course) you're halfway to buying another good used one...and you can always mod 'em later if you get tired of reaching up to the next bigger saw. And this has NOTHING to do with where this thread started...sorry...:buttkick:

:cheers:

Chaser

manual said:
I am to believe that the 7900 has more vibes then the 460.
Check some other post about this.
Now that Husky has the 390xp I would lean that way Less vibes then both.

Now on the fair side of this post. Dolmar is in a struggle to be a big company
This does not come over night. With out customer support they have nothing.
The dealers I have seen on this site are top notch and are willing to do anything to help.
If Dolmar is having a problem with parts support I am sure they are working on it. But how far can you streach a buck if you were to start a business.

Great post manual!! The problem I have with this tests are they are very subjective. I can run the saw and say it's a peice of crap, vibrates too much, doesn't have enough power etc......... You can run the exact same saw and tell me it's the best saw you have ever run in you're life.
These test really don't mean much real world, I may hold it different, I cut different wood types than you. My hands are larger/smaller, I am taller/shorter than you etc. etc......
Andy

wagonwheeler said:
Only problem I see here is you then gotta mod the 660 for another $250 or it just sets on the shelf... I mean you weren't trying to imply that by running a modded 460 you'd actually opt out of owning a 660 were you?? :dizzy:

What kind of influence are you trying to be here anyhow? :mad:

For every saw you leave stock (except for muffler of course) you're halfway to buying another good used one...and you can always mod 'em later if you get tired of reaching up to the next bigger saw. And this has NOTHING to do with where this thread started...sorry...:buttkick:

:cheers:

Chaser

UMMMMMMM....................... Ummmmmmm......Ummmmmm......Ummmmmmmmm

Can I take the fith on that? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Andy

Buy...

I don't have any dealers near me. And would like to buy one? Computer User, where can I get one for $600.00

Thanks!

sawinredneck said:
Great post manual!! The problem I have with this tests are they are very subjective. I can run the saw and say it's a peice of crap, vibrates too much, doesn't have enough power etc......... You can run the exact same saw and tell me it's the best saw you have ever run in you're life.
These test really don't mean much real world, I may hold it different, I cut different wood types than you. My hands are larger/smaller, I am taller/shorter than you etc. etc......
Andy
I understand where you are coming from but in this real world they use machines that meter the vibrations so there is no human factor involved and all the test are the same.
Welcome to Earth third rock from the Sun.

sawinredneck said:
The problem I have with this tests are they are very subjective.

Hi,

the KWF tests and the FPA/DLG approvals are objective. They have to be. Forestry equipment used by professionals here in Germany MUST have passed these tests. If it doesn't it's nothing more than an expensive saw for a homeowner. No company or pro-logger would dare to work with non-approved saws, at least not in his right mind.

If a pro uses a saw that hasn't passed the tests then he has no health cover and gets no pension for injuries or disabilities caused by it! They are not consumer tests but professional tests for the industry. The official bodies behind all this aren't interested in brand names, only facts matter to those people. That in itself pretty much rules out any risk of subjectivity.

Still, thats all only relevant for pro users here in Germany. That's not a problem for the rest of the world though, so count yourselves lucky to be safely away from the Germans beaurocracy...

Bye

Latest posts

Back