Another use for bar chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably would be slick for seating the bead when doing tire replacement

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

I mostly use it on my chaps and boots as a preservative...I find it works best when I'm in a hurry and the flippy caps aren't on proper....yup it's a 2 fer....I get the benefit of cleaning the boots and chaps....and the joy of knowing my caps were incorrectly placed....

I used to get mad when the flippy' didn't stay put but now I'm happy because I get shiny new shoes and chaps. !!!!

Luv my flippies....

When life gives you lemons.....make shiny new work boots !!!!

I'm not sure that oil is good for tires...I was told that car dealers used to use cheap black enamel and paint tires with it to make them look new.
Agree, oil will deteriorate the rubber over time, especially if used to seat the bead.
In the '60's in the family business we used the cheap black paint thinned with a little gasoline - ethanol free back then. It dried quickly and gave them a nice matte black finish. Probably better to thin with VM&P Naphtha now.

I've also heard that grease and oil isn't good for tires but it doesn't keep me from using grease on the beads of particularly cantankerous tires. Two weeks ago I greased the bead of a Bobcat tire after fighting with it for an extended time. I have a Cheetah tank, straps and all the other tricks but this one didn't want to cooperate. The grease did the trick and I got the Bobcat back in service just in time to move logs for the GTG.

I'd like to know what's in that "tire shine" stuff , available @ auto part stores . It eats right into the sealer on my driveway , rather quickly !

Latest posts

Back