Another what wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't bother saying it's firewood. It's going to be firewood no matter what it is. I'm just curious as to what it is.

It came from central Indiana

It's pretty heavy, splits not to hard but is pretty stringy. IMG_20230324_144109694_HDR.jpgIMG_20230324_144118263_HDR.jpg

I looked up hackberry and you guys might sure be right. The bark on the stuff here is not quite as coarse as some pictures I seen but it did look like it.

So is it garbage? I have burned Mulberry before and didn't think it was too bad..

I looked up hackberry and you guys might sure be right. The bark on the stuff here is not quite as coarse as some pictures I seen but it did look like it.

So is it garbage? I have burned Mulberry before and didn't think it was too bad..
As others said, 1st pic is Hackberry. I like Hackberry and grab all I find. Burns hot but will pop a little. It will go punky faster than Red Oak, so I keep it dry (covered) and it will be good for 2-3 years.

Mulberry is another favorite of mine. Burns REAL hot like Black Locust and Hedge and weathers well. In my case, I mix those three in with other woods and don't burn by themselves. Get's the fireplace too hot.

Where you at in Indiana? This wood came from the north side of Kokomo..
It's been awhile Mark, I'm here I Kendallville. We've talked on the phone years ago, lots of Allis-Chalmers discussion I believe. I think you helped with the trade I made with CB Farmall, the Olympic 999 for the Stihl 056. I should have kept that 999.

Hackberry is a cousin to the Elms. Hence the stringy wood. Slow to dry out but good moderately heavy wood.

It's been awhile Mark, I'm here I Kendallville. We've talked on the phone years ago, lots of Allis-Chalmers discussion I believe. I think you helped with the trade I made with CB Farmall, the Olympic 999 for the Stihl 056. I should have kept that 999.

Hackberry is a cousin to the Elms. Hence the stringy wood. Slow to dry out but good moderately heavy wood.

Yep, I remember now! I have let some saws go I regret too. I ran that 999 and I think he still has it. Its in a good place..

So it don't seem like this wood will be too bad. Thats good.

In talking to a friend last night, he also says hackberry on the first one. He told me that its best to use in the first year unless it can be stored under roof.

The one on the ground by the splitter and in the 3rd picture, he thinks is Hickory of some variation. Might be as Hickory is common in the part of the state this came from.

Looks like Hackberry is in good company, btu-wise.
View attachment 1069624

It looks pretty close to Ash on that chart and there is quite a bit of Ash in that pile to be split yet.

Last few years I have burned quite a bit of Ash, its not my favorite but its ok.. So many beetle killed trees around here, we got to use it up.

First looks like gum. Stringy mess, not worth the time to me. I give mine away.
i get lots of Sweetgum/Satan Walnut from from the firewood and tree service guys around here. it likes to move a lot when drying but if you know what you are doing and it's cut right on the sawmill it's a very beautiful wood. AND makes great trailer bed boards.

Back