Another what wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We cut a lot of Hackberry trees around here out of fence rows. 2-3 feet diameter are not uncommon. Burning wise it reminds me of hard Maple. If you split it early enough so it will dry out it will lay in a stack for 3 or more years without getting soft. The tree you cut was fairly unhealthy, because Hackberry usually has white wood all the way through.

i get lots of Sweetgum/Satan Walnut from from the firewood and tree service guys around here. it likes to move a lot when drying but if you know what you are doing and it's cut right on the sawmill it's a very beautiful wood. AND makes great trailer bed boards.
Beautiful boards on that trailer. So it doesn’t twist or cup too much? How thick are those boards?

Beautiful boards on that trailer. So it doesn’t twist or cup too much? How thick are those boards?
with sweetgum the thicker the board the better. i cut my trailer bed boards at 2'' on the mill, stack and sticker them and try and keep weight on them to reduce movement. HOWEVER, there will always be some shrinking and cupping. the thicker they are, the easier it is to trim up later on the mill.

Latest posts

Back