Another Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Would appreciate anyone that could tell me what kind of tree I have pictured, and if so give me an idea as to how well it will burn in my OWB. Pictures are not the best but the lowest branch is fairly high so that is the best pic I could get. Did get a good one of the bark though. Will ask permission to cut the dead one in the bunch if it is not deemed a waste of my time to do it. If I do cut it down it will be my first attempt at a full standing tree. Not a huge tree and nothing it could land on except for me so working under the assumption that you have to start some where this would be my starter. Hope the pictures that I attached show up!

View attachment 188923View attachment 188925View attachment 188924

Were those trees planted?

Would appreciate anyone that could tell me what kind of tree I have pictured, and if so give me an idea as to how well it will burn in my OWB. Pictures are not the best but the lowest branch is fairly high so that is the best pic I could get. Did get a good one of the bark though. Will ask permission to cut the dead one in the bunch if it is not deemed a waste of my time to do it. If I do cut it down it will be my first attempt at a full standing tree. Not a huge tree and nothing it could land on except for me so working under the assumption that you have to start some where this would be my starter. Hope the pictures that I attached show up!

View attachment 188923View attachment 188925View attachment 188924

Tried blowing up the leaves to see them. They are close but no seegar to what we out east call the tulip poplar. My next guess was a ginko. If it is either one, they had to have been purposefully planted there.

Disclaimer, I suck at tree ID, especially from pictures..but not afraid to give something a whack either. Some smart guy here will chime in and nail it no doubt...

Felling trees, your first? Have you watched guys do it before? Be careful man, especially on dead trees, LOOK UP most of the time you are there cutting, Take yer time, freeking branches break off and fall FAST.

And sometimes, they fall SLOW. I near got creamed once from a branch that fell several minutes after dropping a tree. It was obviously in retrospect dead and hung up in an adjacent tree. I was bucking up my tree, got nervous (woo-woo nervous, unexplainable with science...saved my scrawny butt more than once), walked away, was looking around for something dangerous, WHAM, right where I had been standing. Never heard it or saw it until on the ground. Guardian angel action perhaps....like to think so anyway...

Tons of videos out there on felling, plus saw instruction manuals on the subject, both my new saws manuals had the basics with line drawings. and once it starts to go, get the heck outta the way.

Not trying to scare ya, far from it, I love cutting wood and think it is fun and rewarding, but like anything else, just keep a healthy respect for dead weight moving fast.

I'd still recommend having someone with you who has done it a lot before to stand there and give you advice and encouragement.

I learned from older cutters who would try and drive a stick into the ground with the tree they felled. "she gonna fall right chare..." (that's my effort at transplanted canuckian quebecker frostbacks speaking english) Go cram a big stick in and drive that sucker flat into the ground.

Well, I thought it was cool, precise aiming...I still ain't that good, I can get close but never pile drived a stick yet.

If it is either one, they had to have been purposefully planted there.

You are correct Zogger there were 4 of these planted and 3 are left. Judging by the stump the other one blew over some time ago. If indeed it is popular and not a decent firewood then I think that I will leave it stand where it is at and not mess with it. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me some pointers on dropping it though. Never ever would have thought of a branch coming down and beaning me while I was sawing. Will also use your suggestion and ask an old timer at work who has cut and burned for 30 years to help me out should an opportunity arise again. Again thanks and I will just keep plugging away.

Not tulip poplar but true poplar, cottonwood. About as low as you can go and still call it firewood. Also dead trees are not the best thing to learn how to fell on as they have a tenancy to drop limbs or even the whole top while you saw into them or drive a felling wedge.

I agree it's cottonwood (called poplar in some parts of the country - Populus deltoides, Latin name). Looks more like the plains variety than the eastern variety I have around here. Stringy wood, hard to split, and not that high on the BTU scale, but if it's free, it's good! :msp_biggrin:

Be careful bringing it down though, as dead cottonwood around here is brittle, and, as mentioned, tends to shed branches when you least expect it... This is one not to be working alone on.

Last edited:
Back