Another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a couple different types of wood that I do not know what they are. I hope someone can ID them for me. I will tell you this, they are a pain to split even with a splitter. Both types are stringy as heck and the splitter had to go all the way down on every piece and it really struggled. Of course being green does not help anything.

For some reason I am thinking Beech in the first pic but I am not sure.

I am not sure on this one.

Yes it is.The pic on the bottom rt could be Oak maybe Gum.If the OP can send a pic of the grain on a split piece it will help.

If the OP won't show a split off the bottom piece, you KNOW what we'll have to call it don't you???
:hmm3grin2orange:
:eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2:

Top= sycamore

bottom left=red oak

bottom middle= elm, especially if it is stringy and hard to split

I am usually wrong once in a while, once I thought I was wrong but made a mistake:laugh::laugh::laugh:

When in doubt???

attachment.php

Cherry it be!!!

Thought you'd be all over that one...

Bottom right looks gummy to me, need the split or end grain to be sure. Probably Juicy Fruit. If the OP is having that much trouble splitting it mechanically it can't be oak.

Top is sycamore of course.

Top= sycamore

bottom left=red oak

bottom middle= elm, especially if it is stringy and hard to split

I am usually wrong once in a while, once I thought I was wrong but made a mistake:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The bottom left piece came from the same log as the top pic so it can't be red oak.

I think we can all agree that the top pic is sycamore. Is sycamore usually stringy and hard to split when green? I split a few pieces of both kinds and I just gave up on it in fear of tearing the splitter up, the whole time the ram was going down, the ram was just barely moving. I am going to let it sit awhile and once it dries up, hopefully it will be easier.

I do have a pic of the second type split, just let me find it.

Last edited:
The bottom left piece came from the same log as the top pic so it can't be red oak.

I think we can all agree that the top pic is sycamore. Is sycamore usually stringy and hard to split when green? I split a few pieces of both kinds and I just gave up on it in fear of tearing the splitter up, the whole time the ram was going down, the ram was just barely moving. I am going to let it sit awhile and once it dries up, hopefully it will be easier.

I do have a pic of the second type split, just let me find it.

Sycamore is one of the toughest and stringy, especially big ones like that. People have said it splits easier tangentially than radially, you might try it that way slabbing pieces around the sides.

So that pic is the bottom one from the first post? or are you looking...

Definitely Sweet Gum on the 2nd. fun to split huh? Gave a load to a friend of mine, he ended up buying a splitter to finish that load:laugh:

Sycamore is one of the toughest and stringy, especially big ones like that. People have said it splits easier tangentially than radially, you might try it that way slabbing pieces around the sides.

Yes.

Ok, thanks. That's gum alright.

Gum is an absolute nightmare to split by hand, and even hydro splitters aren't fond of it. If it's giving it problems and you can leave it unsplit, no harm in that.

I always use the lightest tool possible to split gum so that when the head bounces off of it and hits me in the noggin there is less brain damage.

Last edited:
There is no way I am going to try to split either of these pieces by hand. How long would I have to wait until it would be easier to split? I may just noodle those pieces and be done with it.

Thanks for all the help.

The sycamore does seem to get better over time. I let some sit about 6 months and then it seemed easier. I try to avoid the big stuff on both types.

The gum usually just stays like that. If you can noodle, go for it. Another thing you could do is make short "cookies" that will fit in your burner, then no splitting required.

American elm, Red oak and not sure with the 3rd but looks a little like pear, never seen a pear round that big so maybe cherry.
That is my bad guess for the day :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back