Another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am hoping this is ash. I cut a long log today of this and some other wood I think is hard maple. I got a huge pile of wood to take that has been down for about a year. A lot of it is bark less so it makes ID'ing it hard. Any help is appreciated.
:cheers:

woodid002.jpg

woodid003.jpg

woodid001.jpg

woodid010.jpg

woodid016.jpg

This was the second load I have got in the past few days. I got the truck about 3 weeks ago and it sure likes the loads better than my old explorer...

I almost forgot this was a wood ID thread for a second! I was too distracted by the kid in bare feet in February until I realized you were in TN! I'm jealous - we just got a foot of snow the other day!

I'm with the other guys - crack one of those logs open so we can see the grain. Ash is pretty distinctive when split.

ok

woodid017.jpg

woodid018.jpg

So the real question is it any good to burn this? shoulder weather wood?It split real easy. Yea the weather has been mild here the whole winter and it is near 70 today I would think.
Thanks again

Definatley box elder AKA Manitoba Maple.

Off season wood, stinky and not much good for cold days. I have a bunch I picked up thinking it was regular maple and now I have a nice stack of outdoor campfire wood for beer drinking this summer. In the end it is wood and it will burn and you will be warm.
Check the sticky at the top of the forum page for the BTUs on the box elder.
It will probably be pretty good for your part of the country! I forgot you were south!

BINGO!!!
Now before you guys go bashing on boxelder, remember, it still has a higher BTU rating than Douglas Fir... Just a little lower than American Elm... If it's there? Burn it!!! You may find out you like it for those cool October and November days where a full on oak burn is just too much... :msp_rolleyes:

Well it isn't that bad according to the BTU chart. I got around ,Im guessing, around 1/3 of a cord of it today to mix in with some other ash and another wood the I am unsure of that is HEAVY and smells like rotten fruit. It shouldn't be that bad and should be ready to burn by fall I would think. box elder= Maple ash, so it is technically an 'ash',just like it will be when I burn it lol..
:cheers:

subhunter,

It's an ok firewood.
Split it and get it in a windy location asap, box elder damp becomes box elder mould.
Once dry the weird smell is all but gone and you have a very average firewood.

Similar to silver maple in btu so a good fall and spring wood or something to burn when you are watching the fire even on cold days.

Hedgerow,

Bash box elder? who would ever do a thing like that? LOL
Now mouldy box elder is a different story :)

Thanks for the replies. I have been cutting wood now since 2006 and love every minute of it. Just some species I am more familiar with than others. Regardless it will be placed into the stack right along with the rest..

Latest posts

Back