another work video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:dizzy:
I could see these comments making since if he were using these trees for lumber, but he is not trying to save any of the wood for milling. Seems like the safest and easiest thing to do is cut them like he did. He'll lop the stumps off after the tree's on the ground.

It's easier to work with the saw lower and it makes for good practice where it counts...

You mean the high stumps give dozer... operators a reasonm to cuss you all day:monkey:

:dizzy:

It's easier to work with the saw lower and it makes for good practice where it counts...

You mean the high stumps give dozer... operators a reasonm to cuss you all day:monkey:
Cut for a few of em up here that wanted em high gave em somethin to push on maybe they didnt know what they where doing seemed to work well from my perspective but im not a cat operator.

If that is what is going to happen with these trees ya. but i dont see any point in uprooting 10" 5 years away from rotten stumps in the middle of the woods but i could have over looked somthing..

Cut for a few of em up here that wanted em high gave em somethin to push on maybe they didnt know what they where doing seemed to work well from my perspective but im not a cat operator.

Hell ya it's easier to push stumps that are a little higher. I prefer the whole tree, buck it off later :)

most of the trees i'm cutting are snags. so i high stump them. i haven't cut anything green in a long time so the high stumps are almost a habit.

that second tree in the vid turned out to be a little more green than the first.

the first snapped off.

the second kinda talked a bit.

I wish I could film some stuff I cut today. Numerous Bushel and half trees and two that were a touch under four foot on the stump, and slick.

I wish I could film some stuff I cut today. Numerous Bushel and half trees and two that were a touch under four foot on the stump, and slick.

i've always wondered how the full manufacture fallers manage to slip in cameras during work? i'd be afraid to lose my rythm

Nice video of some nice work.
When did you get the saw with a real handle?
If the work ever comes back here I will let you know. But you will have to promise not to make me look bad.:cheers:

Nice video of some nice work.
When did you get the saw with a real handle?
If the work ever comes back here I will let you know. But you will have to promise not to make me look bad.:cheers:

lol, i think i'd have to promise to keep up with you

thanks for the good word

I can't watch videos, maybe when I've moved into the new house--

Here are reasons for high stumps, taken from years of working around logging operations:

Falling snags safely.
Steep (nearly vertical clearcut) ground--stumps needed to try to hold the logs in place but they'll still roll down to the bottom.
Decking--see steep ground reason
Road and landing construction--higher stumps are easier to remove out of the roadway or push over.
Guyline stumps--gotta have room to notch them.
A log or down tree is right up against the tree you are cutting.
The :censored: timber markers put the stump mark too high. :blush:

If the area is flat and can be skidder or cat logged, high stumps can be cut off after the snag is felled.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back