ANSI on climbing line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
A little bird told me the ANSI committee was going to re-write the standard to require a minimum of 1/2" diameter for all climbing lines. Supposedly to discourage the use of rock climbing gadgets and ART tools.
Does anybody have more information on this, or what's going on?

Mike, I would pose this to Bob Rouse at TCI. Others with concerns, please forwrd them to him. Your little bird better be wrong; I'd hate to go against the standards but 1/2" is bulky overkill for most prunes imo. The current 5000# criterion is way safe.

Heard from Don Blair at MAC ISA meeting in Richmond that a LOT of changes were coming to many ANSI standards this year, mostly pertaining to crane use with tree climbers. Did not hear about any new climbing line standards, think it should be based on rope strength rather than size/diameter anyway.

Dadatwins said:
Heard from Don Blair at MAC ISA meeting in Richmond that a LOT of changes were coming to many ANSI standards this year, mostly pertaining to crane use with tree climbers. Did not hear about any new climbing line standards, think it should be based on rope strength rather than size/diameter anyway.
Me too. I talked to Don after the macisa mtg in annapolis where he presented on ansi. I showed him my 10mm rope and he said fine if 5000#, it is not the purpose of ansi to make things hard on climbers just kep em safe.

Seriously Mike I'd pepper all th efolks on that ansi committee I could reach, if the thought of going to 1/2" as minimum is on the table.

Mike Maas said:
A little bird told me the ANSI committee was going to re-write the standard to require a minimum of 1/2" diameter for all climbing lines. Supposedly to discourage the use of rock climbing gadgets and ART tools.
Does anybody have more information on this, or what's going on?

sounds like a good idea.

I got an email from Peggy at ISA, yes, it's a holiday in the US and she still responded! She said that the goal for posting the 2005 Z 133 for Public Review is 7/8-15.

When the comment period starts I'll put a notice up here and at...Treeb..., well, you know where the first notice will be posted :)

Tom, have you heard that a bird dropped a 1/2" turd,
or need we wait a week for the real word?

My vision is blurred,
My kittycat purred,
I find it absurd
That for safety criterion 5000's deferred.

Burma Unshaven

I don't have my notes from the meeting at hand. To keep the issue clear, let's wait until next week to look at the proposed revision.

The Z committee will have an informal meeting in Nashville to review any comments that have been generated up to that point. It will be critical that anyone who is interested, and this should be EVERY US arborist, read the document and make comments. Those comments need to be directed to the ISA which is the secretariat for the review. Discussions on the forums has nothing to do with the official comments.

If there are changes that don't look right it will be necessary to generate a mail campaign to get the committees attention. It might be nice to have another record of any comments besides what goes to ISA. A thread could be started on the forums to archive via copy/paste any official comments.

Tom Dunlap said:
Those comments need to be directed to the ISA which is the secretariat for the review.
O thanks for the correction; the others were going to tci.
A thread could be started on the forums to archive via copy/paste any official comments.
Great idea; I'll suggest it to Jim Kendrick for the next article in Tree Services magazine? Now get that van packed and rollin'!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back