Answer/pics to the "how much wood is this" thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Super-hunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I thought a few of you may be curious as to exactly how much wood my truck was holding after I had cut and stacked it. To be honest, I still don't know, [probably should have paid more attention in math class instead of climbing out the window!].

Anyway, once again, here is a pic of the loaded truck followed by the pile it ended up being. The measurements ending up being exactly 3x3x71/2. Maybee someone smarter than me can convert this into the actual percentage of a cord and post it. I'm curious.

firewood002.jpg

firewood008.jpg

Also, I had stacked this pile VERY tightly as all the logs are round. I'm wondering if all round logs (especially mine since they are very small) may possibly equall more actual wood than triangle shaped split rounds or even larger sized round logs. I can only assume that the smaller the air space between the logs, the more actual wood there is. If this is true, then I wonder if my 3x3x71/2 stacked pile is similar to someone who has larger sized splits that are cross stacked??.

BTW, YES, these are very small "logs", but again, I don't have to split them which means even more time devoted to cutting!!:)

Volume is easy to figure. We know that a cord is 4'x4'x8', and volume is length x width x height. So, 1 cord is 4x4x8=128 cubic feet. The measurements of your stack were 3x3x7.5=67.5 cubic feet. 67.5 divided by 128 = .52734375 cords. Easy as pie!

That criss-crossing makes space, so, loose 0.02734375 cords of wasted air and I was exactly right at 0.50.:givebeer: :givebeer: :)

Last edited:
I always liked as much space as possible in the stack to allow for faster curing. Does no one else do that?

Well I'll be damned, I was smack on the money too! Hey Lakeside, Do they still have that Anchor Steam beer out ther? I say we should celebrate!

Do you have termites out there at the SUPER HUNKY compound? If so, you may want to distance your woodpile away from your home before they get to gnawing and the lair becomes SUPER PUNKY!:jawdrop:

As long as he maintains at least 18" from the soil to his house logs, and occasionally checking for mud tunnels on the masonry walls, he'll be fine. Termite shields added to the top of the foundation would have been nice, but he'll be OK.

As long as he maintains at least 18" from the soil to his house logs, and occasionally checking for mud tunnels on the masonry walls, he'll be fine. Termite shields added to the top of the foundation would have been nice, but he'll be OK.

Good, my light hearted play on his name to the side, that is a really nice home and it would be a shame to see any damage caused by an infestation!

Chuck

Now stack it in the back of that truck, and let us see what it looks like. You earned a half cord star for neatness. You might consider looking into getting a rack on that truck that will give you half a cord when stacked level with the top.

Last edited:
I'd keep the wood outside from under the deck.
It will season better.

I don't know about Northern AZ where SH lives, but here in SoCal we have drywood termites, which are different from the kind that live in wet soil in other parts of the country. If its close enough they can swarm from the woodpile to the house without leaving any visible trails. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've had a few of them in one of my houses before, so I've had some experience with them. I think just about any SoCal house on a canyon lot that hasn't had the brush removed will get them to some extent, they're pretty much everywhere around here.

What I'm wondering is will the cold winters where Hunky lives kill them, or do they just hide out for the winter. Since we don't get cold winters here I couldn't say.

Latest posts

Back