Ant bites and other things in the firewood!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When cuttin wood when its warm out..watch out for ground hornets.....damn things are nasty...got stung 8 times in two different settings last year.....sometime it too late to realize ur at there nest until its too late..

I have steered those up when digging a tree with the tree spade. It sucks when you have several hundred swarming the machine and I can't drive away. I have to take shelter in the cab or just run away. They were so bad once I had to completely cover up like a bee keeper just to rescue the truck. Those things will chase you down and they will chase you a long way. They don't give up very easy.

Some of those ground hornets might be yellow jackets that feast on buried wood that is rotting away. They are vicious and can sting several times. Thousands can thrive in an underground yellow jacket nest, emerging from a single opening.

We have several types down here. One I think is really bumble bees that nest in the ground and some call them ground hornets. There is also another one that is a green hornet that generally make a paper nest on or near the ground and even under ground. We do have whats called a tarantula hawk that is said to be the most painful wasp sting of them all. Cant say I have ever seen one and if I did, I didn't know what it was.
We also have the big red wasp that nest everywhere and will ambush you at the drop of a hat. There not very aggressive and don't chase you very far. 10/20 feet and your good. Yellow jackets nest in similar arias but there nest are smaller but there much more aggressive then the red ones.
We also have wood boring bees that look like big fat bumble bees but they never sting, however they do have a painful bite.
The last wasp we have to watch out for are those big red & black wingless wasp that look like a giant hairy ant. There tough as nails and will sting the piss out of you. You can step on them and even grind them into the dirt and they will get up and keep going. Those have a telascoping stinger that can bend around corners.

We have several types down here. One I think is really bumble bees that nest in the ground and some call them ground hornets. There is also another one that is a green hornet that generally make a paper nest on or near the ground and even under ground. We do have whats called a tarantula hawk that is said to be the most painful wasp sting of them all. Cant say I have ever seen one and if I did, I didn't know what it was.
We also have the big red wasp that nest everywhere and will ambush you at the drop of a hat. There not very aggressive and don't chase you very far. 10/20 feet and your good. Yellow jackets nest in similar arias but there nest are smaller but there much more aggressive then the red ones.
We also have wood boring bees that look like big fat bumble bees but they never sting, however they do have a painful bite.
The last wasp we have to watch out for are those big red & black wingless wasp that look like a giant hairy ant. There tough as nails and will sting the piss out of you. You can step on them and even grind them into the dirt and they will get up and keep going. Those have a telascoping stinger that can bend around corners.

Cow killer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The creepiest one is those giant banana spiders that build webs across trails in the woods. I hate walking through a web at night, knowing that big spider may be crawling on me somewhere. I've heard they have a painful bite.

I've gotten stug by Yellow Jackets while cutting wood and rolled logs and found Black widows.....even had a bright green snake fall out of a tree and landed on my shoulder.

Speaking of stink bugs,
Last fall the wife and i are sitting on the porch drinking wine " night " and i started gagging and said " where the hell did you get this wine ? "
A stink bug flew in my wine glass and sprayed it toxins and even gave me heartburn.....Nasty.

I found out the hard way last year I'm deathly allrgic to yellow jackets. Odd since I remember digging into a nest as a kid and getting hit 15+ times and walking it off other then pain and some swelling. Got stung once last year and it shut me down. Passed out wife thought I was dead.

I found out the hard way last year I'm deathly allrgic to yellow jackets. Odd since I remember digging into a nest as a kid and getting hit 15+ times and walking it off other then pain and some swelling. Got stung once last year and it shut me down. Passed out wife thought I was dead.

I've been told you can gain or lose resistance to things like bee stings. Red wasp use to not bother me, just a little red spot for an hour and that's it. Now I swell up pretty good around the sting aria and sometimes I feel a little short of breath and I can feel my hart rate go up. You would think the more you get stung, the better your resistance, and sometimes thats the case. I kill'em every chance I get.

Got stung on the neck by a bee yesterday. I guess he thought my OSHA orange shirt was a flower.
Was fine till I went to scratch my neck, thought it was sawdust.

I'm surprised bees are out. Just to say the misquitos are out. Been in the low 30s at night, 40s-low 50s in the day here. (32* right now for example)

I've been told you can gain or lose resistance to things like bee stings. Red wasp use to not bother me, just a little red spot for an hour and that's it. Now I swell up pretty good around the sting aria and sometimes I feel a little short of breath and I can feel my hart rate go up. You would think the more you get stung, the better your resistance, and sometimes thats the case. I kill'em every chance I get.
My mom was the same way. No problems with stings until her 30s then severe reactions after that. Someone told me your body changes every 7 years who knows in a couple years they might not bother me again.

I'm so glad dear old England is largely free of nasty critters! We have honey bees but they only sting as a last resort and it's not so bad, wasps take less provacation but also not so bad and things like hornets and adders are pretty rare, only seen each once. We have now got a non native Spider called the false widow which I have around the garden now, supposedly a bite like a be sting, and a non native Asian hornet.... Those are supposedly nasty f***ers, although we are more worried about them destroying our native bees than stinging humans. No poison ivy either, yep it's largely a green and pleasant land!

Lots of mud wasps and ground nests round here. Find them when I am weed whacking. For the most parts not much for biting ants. Worst around here are the asian beetles and chiggers when you swim. Never seen a poisonous snake here and the only black widow I've seen here hitched a ride on a trailer from Louisiana.

I have ran into some snakes, fire ants, and spiders in Texas. Fell in a fire ant nest and had to hop in the pool. Must have gotten bit a thousand times it seemed.

I worked as a groundsman for a tree company in Maryland once. We were working on the Navel base clearing over growth around there armory when I my legs started itching. Soon I realized I was covered in ticks. When I say covered, I mean I had thousands of them crawling up the inside of my pants.
I must have found a nest of them. I literately had to strip down to my skives and spend an hour trying to get them off me and out of my clothes. I had hundreds of bites on my legs.

Back