Anti-sieze or Removable loc-tight for drum chipper knife wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidsinatree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm servicing knives for my first time on a drum chipper, olatha 12''.
My ? is should i use anti-sieze or loc-tight on the 1/2 13 bolts that hold the wedges in. There are 3 bolts per wedge. There are 4 knives on this drum.
Also what are some torque specs for this application.
I don't want to witness these knives flying out of this machine.
From reading other treads on knife gap settings I'm going to set the gap about .020.
The person i bought this chipper from just had the knives sharpened but he had the gap was set at almost 1/8'', this thing was not pulling the wood in very good, I hope resetting the gap solves that problem.

Thanks
David

I don't know the torque specs on that one David-if I were just going to guess I would say 90 ft.lbs. Definitely use anti seize-Hi torque applications don't need loctite the problem is getting things loose again.

If there 1/2" bolts torque them to 125 ft Lbs. Install your wedge torgue them down then use a brass bar and hammer to set the wedge then re-torque.
Make sure if there allen head bolts that they still have good edges and not getting worn if so Replace them. Use never seize DO NOT USE LOCKTITE. :blob2:

David, DDM alluded to this but-It is a really good idea to replace the bolts often-about every third knife change isn't a bad regimen.

I hadn't intended my reply to be a correction to any preceding ones.&nbsp; I fetch many threads at once and often don't look to see if they've had more posts since, before I reply.&nbsp; However, I feel that using the dry values with anti-seize is dangerous, since bolts are tension devices and the tightening torque figures factor in the friction component.&nbsp; If you remove or greatly reduce the friction, you can <i>easily</i> over-stress one of the threaded components.&nbsp; You never want to pull a spring too tight!

Yes, keeping them fresh is cheap insurance.

Here's a third, perhaps best overall, link:&nbsp; http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc14.html

Glen

Latest posts

Back