Antique Ottawa Tractor Mount drag/felling saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
Reaction score
Looking for more info, on what is believed to be an Ottawa drag saw, tractor mounted for felling?

attachment.php

attachment.php

What I have seen so far from Michael Stevens.

That's the Ottawa tree felling attachment made in USA -- of the bull gear, counter weighted pitman arm, blade and slide rails from the regular log saw seen below. The feller attachment was the wooden support frame, anchor chains with the hooks, the metal bull gear support with drive gear and the drive shaft.
made form between 1913 to 1950's

So it is or has, the felling attachment. Michael has been to many shows, and says he's never seen one in person, only pictures.

Anyone else that has info, please post it here. The fella who owns it had a house fire with him and his family barely making it out New Years morning. Now they're trying to rebuild the home, and looking for funds wherever they can.

I'd love to help you and wish I knew more. I will say I've seen drag saws and what you have there sure looks like parts to one, but beyond that I useless. There is an old-timer that lives down the road from my folks place and he collects and restores all kinds of old machines and if I can catch him at home I'll see if he knows anything or has any contacts.

Mr. HE:cool:

I have seen several drag saws in action at tractor shows over the years, I think Bill Hoitt has displayed one at Field Day of the Past. Your best bet is to post it over on the Smokstak forum, that is where the old iron guys congregate. By the way, all I have seen were powered by hit and miss engines, a tractor PTO would be far too fast for a drag saw.

Last edited:
I have seen several drag saws in action at tractor shows over the years, I think Bill Hoitt has displayed one at Field Day of the Past. Your best bet is to post it over on the Smokstak forum, that is where the old iron guys congregate. By the way, all I have seen were powered by hit and miss engines, a tractor PTO would be far too fast for a drag saw.

This one was fer a hit'n miss (Jonny popper), but has the felling attachment.

I'll go tell the owner to signup and post over at Smokstak -- thanks fer the heads up. :)

Some of the Amish around me still use them and I can recall people using them when I was a kid and I've seen them at shows. There's a base or frame of some sort that goes up near the gear end of that rig IIRC. I may know where there's a blade for that too if the guy still has it. It's been 15 years or so.....

Back