Ants in Ailanthus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnityArborist

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need some bug advice. I bid a job to take down a decaying Ailanthus. The trunk is infested with Carpenter Ants. Are those bugs aggressive toward use arborist types. Should I try to poison them before the removal? I do not have a chipper, so the little guys will be going for a ride in my trailer. I don't want them setting up shop in my fire wood, or trees.

Never a big problem, in my experience, although if they bite you, it hurts. Work smart, avoid prolonged contact with the spots they're pouring out of and get the wood down quickly, if they're trying to climb onto you via your rope. Get rid of the wood you're hauling before you go home or you may give them the opportunity to be your new, uninvited guests. If you are taking the wood home for your own use, then a spray with your favorite ant killer will usually do the job. Some Carpenter Ants will not be killed by some sprays, so you might need to experiment.

no need to poison; just knock/shake them out and leave them on site.

they do not kill trees anyway; just hang out in decayed places.

When you knock the wood to the ground they scramble out of there pretty quick. They're really not a problem to work around unless them crawling on you makes you uneasy. I've cut rotted trees round here where they rolled out of the wood like lava, but seriously they disperse very fast.

They don't sting like a fireants, but they have a good little bite and it'll still get your attention especially if hundreds start dropping on your lap. Carpenter ants are a good sign that the tree has decay in it so keep that in mind when climbing, especially in an already weak tree like an Ailanthus.

Few ant bites never killed anyone but more likely climbing around in a decaying ailanthus might.
attachment.php

Perfectly healthy tree (physiologically) prior to deciding to take a dip in this swimming pool on a calm day. I had to climb and remove the double leader tree next to it (with decay) (ailanthus also) with the ivy all over it. No fun in the top of that tree until weight came off. Real heavy/brittle wood.

I had to climb and remove the double leader tree next to it (with decay) (ailanthus also) with the ivy all over it. No fun in the top of that tree until weight came off. Real heavy/brittle wood.

Creepers = pain in the proverbial. I immediately double my climbing time. How is it that something 1/8th of an inch thick can change the course of a log that weighs half a ton??

Nice pic, Dave. Looks like the ivy went apespit on that tree and tackled it.

Nice pic, Dave. Looks like the ivy went apespit on that tree and tackled it.

You're prob. right Guy that it added weight (and sail...but not a factor that day) to the failure occurrence but the most important aspect (IMO) is the obscuring of the defect that may have been reacted to if noticed. They were not regular clients of mine but intermittent (10 years ago) and had never had me inspect anything in rear.

Man what a challenge even climbing those trees and hard to set a confident throw line-climb line crotch too prior to spiking. Also sometimes the ivy is in bloom and that means covered with bees.

Hope you are not planning on adding the wood to your wood pile. Ailanthus stinks when you burn it and is a total trash tree in my opinion. Be very careful climbing it they are soft and brittle when live and much worse dead. Have seen more than one break out from the base.

Ailanthus stinks when you burn it

I've burned it, and didn't have any stink problem. It was VERY dry, and perhaps it makes a difference whether it's a male or female tree. Not bad, really. About like poplar. Not a wood of choice, but if you are short of good wood...

I know about it being brittle. Some years back I went to trim a 4" branch that was reaching out over my yard because I was worried about it. I just barely touched the top side with my saw, and BAM! It was on the ground. When I got down I checked it. I had cut through the bark and MAYBE a quarter inch more into the wood.

Scary stuff! :dizzy:

I am not planing on burning it. My concern was the ants hitching a ride back to my house on my trailer. The tree is sketchy!! The trunks splits about 6' up. On the right There is a cavity about the size of a soft ball, in a 10" diameter trunk. On the left the bark has died off and the exposed wood is so rotten I pulled a 4" thick chunk out with my hand. I plan on tying the rotten lead to another tree to give me some peace of mind. I have to rig it all out. Pray for me on Thursday.

Piece it down in small chunks. If you rig it, once your rope handlers have it in the spot they want it to come down have them drop it hard.

If you have to lower it slow all the way to the ground, have a man stand with a saw and buck it into 16 inch logs and just pick them up and slam them. By the time you leave that job that would should be pest free.

Good luck, let me know how things turn out and how you end up resolving the situation,

Back