Any advice on this butcher job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity Honoria

Reaction score
A neighbor had some tree work done this week. I ran into her and asked what had happened... steam began to flow from her ears-- "I only asked him to open up the view to the house. Did you see what he did to my hemlock?"

Her primary question i pose here: will the hemlock survive this 'tree service' work?

and her parting words to me: "I should've known he didn't know what he was doing-- he was the cheapest."

Let me note that this work was performed by the fella that i had a run in with in July when he worked on the yard next door to me...

What's the prognosis for these trees?

The sad part is how many other neighbors will look at that work and think "I need to get my trees trimmed like that".
:(

Trin, this is for those neighbors who may think like skwerl talks about.:

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

The owner's original idea to raise the hemlock to open the house view was not a good one. Even professionally done, it would damage the tree and not open the view much. Now that tree is at a high risk of failing in a storm. Even though they were "just following orders", it could be judged a total loss, and the perpetrators and their insurance company can be sued for damages.

If she had the sense to withhold payment, she should go to small claims court for starters.

The pecans (that's what they look like anyway) will resprout; topping them was a much smaller crime.

treeseer said:
Trin, this is for those neighbors who may think like skwerl talks about.:

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/pruning_mature.aspx
http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/topping.aspx

The owner's original idea to raise the hemlock to open the house view was not a good one. Even professionally done, it would damage the tree and not open the view much. Now that tree is at a high risk of failing in a storm. Even though they were "just following orders", it could be judged a total loss, and the perpetrators and their insurance company can be sued for damages.

If she had the sense to withhold payment, she should go to small claims court for starters.

The pecans (that's what they look like anyway) will resprout; topping them was a much smaller crime.

i'll share the websites with her... i ran into her a few minutes ago... asked what she paid him... $500 for all torture to the trees... she went with him instead of a well-known tree fellow in the area who might have been $3,000-- a disparity that wide was trouble.

again, i thank all of you who educate us simple home owners...

Last edited:
Generally you get what you pay for. $500 vs $3000. Big difference. I don't think I have ever been underbid THAT much on any job.

Trinity Honoria said:
and her parting words to me: "I should've known he didn't know what he was doing-- he was the cheapest."

Shame on the homeowner for not checking out the company performing the work and just going for the lowball price, and shame on the company for doing that type of work, typical :censored: hack & slash work.
You get what you pay for and this homeowner did not get much.

what in the world did anyone see that would cost $3000 on that lot?

sheisonthemoon said:
What a shame for your neighbor Trinity, i can only imagine how neausus she must have felt . I know i've got an upset stomach.

she was in tears...

now, she wants to come on the list to read the feedback... i am warning her that this is a tough crowd ;) and not always warm & fuzzy...

thanks for the feed back, everyone!!!

As a sort of vengance, she could put a sign in the yard listing the dudes name and that this job was NOT done to her liking and is STRONGLY discouraged and damaging to the trees. Not everyone will take the time to read it, but you gotta start somewhere.

My condolences to the trees.

"I only asked him to open up the view to the house. Did you see what he did to my hemlock?"

Non professional opinion. Maybe you weren't specific enough or didn't know what to ask for b/c they definately opened up the view to the house.

gumneck said:
"I only asked him to open up the view to the house. Did you see what he did to my hemlock?"

Non professional opinion. Maybe you weren't specific enough or didn't know what to ask for b/c they definately opened up the view to the house.

please keep in mind, this is not my situation-- but a neighbors... y'all have taught me better!!!

Didn't you mention that you had a bunch of ice damage recently? Could the tree guy have been cutting off broken tips?

fmueller said:
She got ripped. Iwould have only charge 300.00 for that.:laugh: :laugh: :dizzy:

i warned her that this is a rough crowd...

and skwerl, at first i thought she'd had a ton of damage... and this was the aftermath... but she said nope-- she asked him to trim her trees.

Yep, those trees got trimmed all right, I know this is like throwing salt on an open wound, but in this case the blame gets put where it should be, right on the owner of the trees. She got what she paid for plain and simple.

Homeowners just assume that anyone who hangs a shingle out in the yellow pages or where ever they find them is quailified to work on trees. Homeowners think anyone listed as a tree trimmer will do the same caliper of work when it comes to their trees. Your neighbor learned a hard lesson, right in the pocketbook, not to mention the damage done to the trees.

The question I have is why in the hell don't people do some research or at least ask someone that does know about proper tree pruning before they spend money??? There is more info available then ever before concerning trees and how to properly care for them.

Apperently it just boils down to the fact that people still don't care enough about trees and the role they play on this planet and in our everyday lives to hire quailfied people to work on them. As long as the attitude of the masses is " It's just a tree" let the the cheap guy do the job, we will never see any type of professionalism in arborculture. Incidents like this are just going to repeat themselves over and over, by the time we wake up it might be too late to turn the clock back.

Rant over

Larry

Back