Any advice welcome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is good advice. Some people want firewood delivered in April/May/June so it can season in their racks. It's worth selling green/semi seasoned wood to them at slight discount and getting it out of your way so you can do more. Come October everyone else wants wood and the people who are answering your ad in December really need wood.

One other thing is campgrounds and seasonal cabins. These folks want fire pit wood and dont really care what species it is or if it's completely seasoned as long as lights decently and doesnt sizzle. Note: Be sure to know your local law on bringing wood into a campground. The state and federal owned ones may require licensed/inspected dealers only. Privately owned campgrounds you should be fine.
i tell'em same price green or dry. takes the same effort on my part to get it out of the woods.maybe even more for green 'cause it's heavier. Briar012,as stated earlier keep your wood one length. it's easier to measure and handle. i cut 16"and that covers most everyones' stove or fireplace.

Hey guys sorry so long without a reply, been putting everyone's tips to use. First off the tire trick is amazing doubt I'll ever split wood without one now. I've sped up production a lot doing it step by step. Just fell a tree, limb it, buck it and leave it lay. I'll do 2 or 3 trees then move all my wood to where I split and get to splitting it. I was cutting a tree moving it then splitting and stacking it then starting over. Took forever. I cut and split a rick (face cord) in about a hour and a half after work today. Way way faster. Any other tips are more then welcome.

Thanks a lot guys y'all have helped a ton I really appreciate it.

I've got some pics of today's work, but can't figure out how to add them from my phone. If anyone could help that would be awesome. Sorry I'm not the best with electronics guys, I never really got into them.

Hey, do y'all think it would be worth it to do a muffler mod on my echo cs400. I wanted a bigger saw but funds didn't permit. I hate how long it take to buck a 20'' tree. My saw is only 2 weeks old, and it runs great with no problems. I know it's just a 40cc saw and ill never make it cut like a 60cc saw but just how much of an improvement does it make?

Not sure what kind of phone you use, but click the "Upload A File" button and if your phone is able to it will let you chose what file to upload.

I have an iphone 4. When I hit the button to upload a file or picture it just has a place to put in the file URL. Again I'm not the brightest when it comes to this stuff but I can't get it figured out.

Yes sir but the 5 has a new update that I couldn't get on my 4. I guess their probably starting to phase the 4 out. Also it let me upload my profile pic directly from my phone, I just can't upload one to a post.

Yes sir but the 5 has a new update that I couldn't get on my 4. I guess their probably starting to phase the 4 out. Also it let me upload my profile pic directly from my phone, I just can't upload one to a post.
Thats really surprising.

I guess you may be limited to something like Photobucket for the time being. You open an account with them, email the picture to your custom address there, then post the link here to the image.

Unless someone else with an IP4 can help us here.....

my .02 cents worth.....

go find a good 40 hr/week job and do the wood stuff on the side.

Mga, that's what I'm doing I have no intentions of trying to make a living cutting firewood. I work 4 10 hour days and cut wood after work and on the weekends. If you read my first post I'm doing this because my wife is going to school full time to be a nurse, and doesn't have any time to work. I'm just trying to make it a little easier on my family, and I enjoy being in the woods working.

My advise is there are more ways to sell firewood than split it stack it up for two or three years while it drys. Me and my wife are called small time firewood people and we make a very comfortable live. We don't do it part time it is our business. You have to know your area customers. Your new customers need. We get a lot of customers from firewood sellers who don't meet the customers needs. We only sell bundled firewood it took me several years to wake up to the fact that in my area the beer drinkers come out of the closet. So we wanted a full time business not a fl by night. We ended up in the bundled firewood business full time. Less work and more money a rank of bulk firewood is $50.00 around here I get $250.00 mini for that same rank in bundles and as high as $10.00 a bundle it works for me. But we also have $300.000.00 dollars worth of equipment now and just bought a building for storage and 6 acres. Clear the timber off of it get my money back some of I any way. See what your area needs ou have to get your customers to trust you because of the low life's need a case of beer or a cartoon of cigs or gas money CL goes from 2 or 3 sellers to 50 the two or three are real firewood sellers. The rest cut grass and scrap.

I noticed you used the term " rick" and face cord .. Those are slang usually regional terms and not legal units of measure If selling wood you should use professional units of measure to ensure the same legal load size and happy customers I'd sell only in increments of a 4x4x8 cord or half cord . The face cord or rick or rank or pickup load and such can mean anything and vary greatly . A cord is always 128 cubic feet

My customers call and tell me they want a rank of fire they get a rank of firewood iny area that is all that's used is a rank. The area here 90 percent of firewood burners do not have room on there apartment porch for a cord. Firewood in the city is assist heat what state you talking about for this law

Learn to flick your splitting tool sideways just as the edge enters the wood. Combined with a couple of tires stacked to hold the splits together sure makes for a fast rick. Which everyone in these here hills as well as most flatlanders herebouts know is a close stack of firewood 4 feet tall and 8 feet long. And the law will come down on you just as quick if you short someone a rick as the same as if you short them a cord.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWo0P0MdJM

I talk to the forestry man I told him about on arborite the law does not say size if you tell a person a size and it is not that that is breaking the law. I have some they all live on the same street I get my one ton load with all it will haul one of the lady's doesn't have car I dump it in her drive way they all use it and pay when they can at what think it worth

Back