Any Echo CS670 owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to an equipment show today and Echo was set up. Looked over a 670 and it impressed me for workmanship and materials. Appears as good as my Stihls or the Huskies I have looked over. The sales rep said Echo builds a low RPM motor that has lots of torque as compared to most others. Not going to buy one in the near future but what do you guys think of that saw? Also looked at a 520 which he said will work along side of a 260.

As far as the rpm's go the Echo CS-670 revs out to 14'000 rpm no-load. I like the saw and think it is pretty good and a well built saw. The one thing that the CS-670 does well is oil the bar. The auto oil output is real good and the added feature of the manual override make it even better. With the muffler opened up the 670 runs like a slightly detuned Husky 372.

I put up this thread last month, take a look.

Echo CS-670

I had one for a while. Not quite up to the power of a 372XP, even though weight is similar, but just a pleasant saw to use. Starts easy, handles nicely, and seemed well balanced and well constructed. Wasn't sure about the plastic sprocket cover, but it held up as much as I used it. Does oil nicely, as stated.

I have a '04 CS670 and an '03 372xp. The Huskie has more power but I really, really like the Echo. It starts better, is well and I mean well oiled especially with the thumb/manual button and it is great on cutting stumps. I use my big saws exclusively for cutting large stumps off of trees before I chip them. Even with a dull or dirty chain, the 670 is awesome. Looking back, I wish I had bought two of them instead of the 372xp. Don't get me wrong, I love the xp but for some reason the weight of the 670 seems to be perfectly balanced for me and it doesn't need a compression release to start.
Another thing, that 670 is tough. I dropped my chipper's grapple on it in the field, and bent the hell out of the handlebar. A little straightening and prying and it is not quite good as new but good enough for govt. work. The huskie with all it's plastic might have been a casualty...dunno.

I have had one about a year so far it has been a very good saw. Quality seems real good. The bar oil system is one of the best out there IMHO. The balance seems real good to me also. They sell for $449 - $469 around here. I got mine through a local dealer for $420 with the 24" bar. Making it a very good deal compared to some more popular saws in its size range. I agree the power is not up with a 372 but it does do the job well. I have actually be thinking about buying another 670 as a local dealer is still selling them for $449.

I have the smaller echo's and am very happy after a muffler mod. I'm considering geting myself a big echo also.

Has anyone had one mod'd? wondering how they perform after ehp,dan or the like has worked them over.

Yes, I had Dan Henry port my CS-670, and it brought the speed up to a stock 372XP, at least in smaller cuts. It may have gained more grunt, but never timed it in anything over 14" or so. It's not the most effective means to the end, but it works. Better off to buy a stock 372XP or PS-7300 if you want a fast 13.5 lb saw for as little money as possible. Either of those can then be modified as well. I bought the CS-670 on ebay, because I always was curious how the Echos performed. I would not say I disliked the saw, but I sold it to make room for other curiosities. Honest, I do not have a problem. (Hi, my name is Tony, and I have a problem with buying chainsaws for no apparent good reason.)

Latest posts

Back