Any good mods for a Husky 351?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any way to make my Husky 351 gain some power? Its a GREAT feeling saw, but just lacks sooooooo much in the power department. Is there any way to make the engine breathe better, or to tune on the carb? I looked at the spark plug, and its Always BLACK and oily, so its rich. I'm sure there are carb limiter screws on it, so its nearly impossible to tune up much.
Any suggestions? or is this just a really underpowered saw. It'd have a LOT more power if there was a way to lean it out some because it smokes 3 times as much as our Sachs 116 on identical fuel.
I run it on Fresh 93 Octane and Amsoil synthetic Race oil at 50/1.

Thanks again, this site is awesome. :heart:

Deadman said:
I'm wondering if there is any way to make my Husky 351 gain some power? Its a GREAT feeling saw, but just lacks sooooooo much in the power department. Is there any way to make the engine breathe better, or to tune on the carb? I looked at the spark plug, and its Always BLACK and oily, so its rich. I'm sure there are carb limiter screws on it, so its nearly impossible to tune up much.
Any suggestions? or is this just a really underpowered saw. It'd have a LOT more power if there was a way to lean it out some because it smokes 3 times as much as our Sachs 116 on identical fuel.
I run it on Fresh 93 Octane and Amsoil synthetic Race oil at 50/1.

Thanks again, this site is awesome. :heart:

Now here is a saw that could use a muffler mod. You'll get some real advice soon. I've never done one of those carbs, so I don't know what to tell you to do.

Mark

Last edited:
Get a razor blade and shave the stops off of the limiter caps so you can adjust the carb. That should wake it up pretty quick.

muffler mod works really well too. I have one that has been ported and it is a screamer. Will give my 5100 a run for the money

SawTroll said:
You could put a 346xp or 353 p&c in it, then persue the other options......:D

It is the same basic saw.

353 replaced the 351 and has just a one mm larger bore. Won't see a lot of HP from just the piston and cylinder swap. I would not put a 346 topend on it if it were used to cut firewood......

Freakingstang said:
353 replaced the 351 and has just a one mm larger bore. Won't see a lot of HP from just the piston and cylinder swap. I would not put a 346 topend on it if it were used to cut firewood......

Why do you say that Doc? Just wondering.
Andy

I played with the carb screws this afternoon and found that the Low speed adjuster was way to rich, so the minute it idled it loaded up really bad.
It seemed to help ALOT, because its not trying to foul the plug. It didn't gain any real power, but its much more forgiving if it idles now.

I ALSO placed my order for a 357 XP :rock:

I think the 357 XP will solve all of my power issues and NOT add a lot of weight. I'm so excited for the Fedx dude to pull up! :givebeer:

Deadman said:
I ALSO placed my order for a 357 XP :rock:

I think the 357 XP will solve all of my power issues and NOT add a lot of weight. I'm so excited for the Fedx dude to pull up! :givebeer:

Hmmm - the 357xp weights a good bit more than Husky states, and noticably more than a MS361.

It also has an outboard clutch.....

Any other mod ideas for the 351? If a muffler mod then do you have any links or pics of good ways?
Thanks

Back