any guess as to what happen to this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlandrum

dealer,saw builder
Reaction score
according to the owner the saw just wasn't running like the other ported saws I did for him and all the sudden it quit. he also had a ms660 that met a similar fate. but he says its not his fault.
20140912_112252.jpg 20140912_111951.jpg 20140912_112048.jpg 20140912_112112.jpg

according to the owner the saw just wasn't running like the other ported saws I did for him and all the sudden it quit. he also had a ms660 that met a similar fate. but he says it's not his fault.
how many times do you hear that a saw wasnt running right, and the owner just kept running it til it blew? And then says it's not his fault?!! :eek:

Terry implied that it was ported, so I'm guessing he wants warranty work... Since it's not his fault. :rolleyes:

the saw was really really new. the guy said he has been a mechanic for many years. he is mad at me because this happened to two of his saws. I told him to send them to me and I would clean the cylinders up and install new pistons for free if it was my fault. I send saws home running a bit rich so I know it wasn't lean because of me. I was able to clean up the ms660 and put in a new piston. I sent it back tuned to 12500,hoping it would see the same fate before it got broke in. this one wasn't savable so I took it in trade for other work I did for him. I put a new p/c on it and sold it to a friend to recoop my losses. a 576xp cylinder is sky high even at dealer cost. how do you get it thru to someone what they did in fact do wrong.

Check & Save the fuel in the lines and carb. We know how much people like to pour in a tank of pre-mix to revive a strait gassed saw.

Just for giggles, have You got a view into the muffler? Would be interesting to see the contents.

I didn't want to argue with the guy and just did what I needed to end my dealings with him. no matter how much at fault he is ,all he has to do is spread the word that I screwed him over and there ya go. years of building a reputation down the tube.we all make mistakes and I stand behind my work even when sometimes I shouldn't or shouldn't have to. just to keep a good name. I am no different from anyone else in this business,sometimes you build the best saw you can just to have it run like crap for no reason or cuase. you just have to hope the customer will send it back and let you fix what is wrong with it before running around telling everyone how big a turd you built. this customer doesn't communicate well and I cant seem to help him out. you cant make them all happy.

Sever ties in the most diplomatic way that you can. ANYONE that lets this happen simply isn't worth having as a "customer". Next week or next month you will have another of his problems in your lap and the cycle will start again. Sorry this happens to a stand up guy like you Terry.

That looks like detonation/pre-ignition damage to me. If the compression was increased, was he feeding it the proper diet to keep that from happening?
spec sheet from the build shows 180psi cold and dry. shouldn't have needed anything special to run on besides good gas and mix.

Back