any husky 65 or 77 fans out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The L77 saws were used and sold in the Carolinas until the early 1980s. The saws could overheat - we called in vapor locking(not sure if thats the right term)In 100 plus degree weather(Good ole Southern logging) and running them for extended periods in heavy cutting , they were hard to restart. Had mine vapor lock once in 30 years and still running strong- how many 180s have that record :greenchainsaw: Stihls had the same problem too.

The L77 saws were used and sold in the Carolinas until the early 1980s. The saws could overheat - we called in vapor locking(not sure if thats the right term)In 100 plus degree weather(Good ole Southern logging) and running them for extended periods in heavy cutting , they were hard to restart. Had mine vapor lock once in 30 years and still running strong- how many 180s have that record :greenchainsaw: Stihls had the same problem too.

30 years in proffessional use?
I doubt it....

Was it common for them to overheat in summer temperatures?

All saws of the same design as this had same problems at the time.
This was a big problem, not easy to solve.

When the 180 came out with two piease body design it was inovvative and at the time pretty uniqe.
Much better than the 65/77.

What you call vaprolocking is a resoult of vibrations from engin making a mess of fuel in tank and carburator.
This will in turn make the saw lean and overheat. Overheat leads to damege in one form or another, often scorings on piston, but also bearing failuar and seal leaks. This is just a couple problems of this design. It had more.

Last edited:
Brother Magnus

Didnt mean to mislead you about the saw still running well after 30 years- 2 years pro use and then retired to serious firewood cutting for the next 28 years and counting. We normally replaced our saws every year and I think that we both agree that we disagree about the L77. :cheers:

The 77 came apart

You guys got me thinking with this thread. Yesterday I was finally down to 1 saw stripped on my bench. I have a max of 2 at a time, to keep from loosing parts, and to actually motivate me to FINISH SOMETHING.... So I walked over to the project shelf. There is that 1-10 mac needing a new top-end, Nah. Wright 122 needing a bunch, Nah. Lancaster needing fuel line/carb/filter, Nah. Husky 77? It's barn fresh, but has good compression at the rope. I gave it a look, and decided it is time. Magnus says it's a turd. We'll see how this one turns out. I've never run a 65 or 77. It's 80cc's and a Husky, can't be that bad.

It pulled 165 PSI with 5 pulls. I stopped there, because I was having trouble holding it down. The top handle is pretzeled, so I already had taken it off to get at the spark plug. The SEM ignition throws a nice blue spark. I nearly threw in the towel when I found that the ENTIRE bottom of the saw was JB weld..... It appears that the case gasket was leaking. I chipped if off after splitting the cases. It took nearly an hour. The one time I wished the JB would not stick, it stuck quite well.....

I got this saw in a batch of 6 from a friend. He is a farmer, and these saws are the ones they have killed over the years. It is very interesting for me to try and figure out what "killed" each one of these. In this case, it was two things:
1. Bent handle.
2. Oil pump inlet screen and tank clogged with debris. Then the pump siezed, nylon gears sheared, and B&C got wasted.

I will post my progress as the rebuild goes on. I plan on this being a good firewood saw, so no repaint this time.

You guys got me thinking with this thread. Yesterday I was finally down to 1 saw stripped on my bench. I have a max of 2 at a time, to keep from loosing parts, and to actually motivate me to FINISH SOMETHING.... So I walked over to the project shelf. There is that 1-10 mac needing a new top-end, Nah. Wright 122 needing a bunch, Nah. Lancaster needing fuel line/carb/filter, Nah. Husky 77? It's barn fresh, but has good compression at the rope. I gave it a look, and decided it is time. Magnus says it's a turd. We'll see how this one turns out. I've never run a 65 or 77. It's 80cc's and a Husky, can't be that bad.

It pulled 165 PSI with 5 pulls. I stopped there, because I was having trouble holding it down. The top handle is pretzeled, so I already had taken it off to get at the spark plug. The SEM ignition throws a nice blue spark. I nearly threw in the towel when I found that the ENTIRE bottom of the saw was JB weld..... It appears that the case gasket was leaking. I chipped if off after splitting the cases. It took nearly an hour. The one time I wished the JB would not stick, it stuck quite well.....

I got this saw in a batch of 6 from a friend. He is a farmer, and these saws are the ones they have killed over the years. It is very interesting for me to try and figure out what "killed" each one of these. In this case, it was two things:
1. Bent handle.
2. Oil pump inlet screen and tank clogged with debris. Then the pump siezed, nylon gears sheared, and B&C got wasted.

I will post my progress as the rebuild goes on. I plan on this being a good firewood saw, so no repaint this time.

I'm anxiously waiting updates!! I love running my 77L, at least when it's cooler out so it doesn't get so hot.

B200 good luck with the L77 saw! I just got some news about a 77 that was in the shop for carb rebuild- Im not good with carbs- they said the piston is severely scored and needs replacing to get it running right. I just bought the saw used for 100 bucks. Seemed to run ok- the dealer said its almost impossible to find original pistons and cyclinder head- I told them he was right and that I had everything in the basement, brand new-dealer old stock. Its in their hands now and hope to have it back soon. Should scream when it gets broke in. The couple of 77s that are in my barn keep up pretty well with the 372xps we use daily- :greenchainsaw:

Comparing saws:

I think that all Mangus is saying is that all saws have their advantages and disadvantages over time and consumers determine the saws history. As already mentioned in this tread this saw had it's pluses, but had problems also. Possibly design problems that were eventually corrected/improved in newer models of saws. Hopefully advantages of one saw are incorperated into another model, with improvements made, but eventully it reaches a compromise, where a particulay design will not work and a new design has to be developed to accomodate what the EPA or the user wants to see in a saw and the cycle starts over again with the new design either working or being a problem. The consumer is the one who decides a saws place in history, good or bad, its positive or negative attributes. Everyone here has an opinoin about any given saw and Mangus was stating his opinion as he sees and understand it. Wheather you agree or disagree with his opinion is up to you, but I for one appreciate his insite. Take care. Lewis Brander.

I don't understand. I never said is a turd or that it lacks power.
I don't think it is either.
It is one of the best at its time (1966-67) and of the saws simular in design and cc.

Fact is it was pulled of market here as it was not selling. Other saws that worked better replaced it.

The ones you have most of (with round decal on starter) is not found here.
You can see one or two old cut of saw with this cover, but I have not seen one here yet in any collection or forsale as these were not sold here.
Export only...

I have a nice running 65 and really love that saw. It's smooth for its age and well balanced with a 16" bar. Also good acceleration. It must have been a nice saw in its era I think !

65bsmall.jpg

I don't understand. I never said is a turd or that it lacks power.
I don't think it is either.

I guess you did not say that. I was getting the feeling that you did not like these saws. It doesn't matter anyway. I am excited about getting this one back to life and in some wood. Then I can talk about it. Until then, anything I write on here is just speculation. I have stripped it down totally, and I can say that it looks well designed to me. It was interesting to find little plastic insulator tubes on the carb mount studs. I guess this was an effort to keep the carb from boiling the fuel?

The ones you have most of (with round decal on starter) is not found here.
You can see one or two old cut of saw with this cover, but I have not seen one here yet in any collection or forsale as these were not sold here.
Export only...

Are those the Tomos made saws?

Yes, they are.

Just in case some doesn't know, Tomos is a factory in what was Yugoslavia.

I believe the 65-series production eqipment ended there as part of an Government level deal, when Husky really was done with it in Sweden.........

What is strange is that the saws still were sold with the Husky label in the US.

Also, I believe most of the later 66s were made by Tomos on about the same terms, or maybe they all were (the ones presented here at AS lately all were Tomos saws)?????:confused:

Maybe more "export only" models were made there as well.......:confused:

Last edited:
Well, I was all set to start a new thread on my 77L rebuild. I have it disassembled, and I noticed a few things that need attention. One may be a deal breaker. It looks as if the chrome is worn off below the exhaust port. This thing blew a 165 on my compression gauge, and I stopped after 5 pulls. I will try to post some pics later. It looks like I might be in the market for a 77 cylinder. I know they are pretty scarce. I checked on having the cyl rechromed. It can be done, but for $200 I could get a running 77! If it were a rare saw I might do it, but not this. Anyone else ever seen this?

Niko.

Tomos made this saw under License for Husqvarna and after that they continued with it as their own.

Some say Tomos-Husqvarna, others just Tomos...

Other models were made like this, the 180/280/380 saw were sold to Dolphima in Polen were thay still make it I think.

Well, I was all set to start a new thread on my 77L rebuild. I have it disassembled, and I noticed a few things that need attention. One may be a deal breaker. It looks as if the chrome is worn off below the exhaust port. This thing blew a 165 on my compression gauge, and I stopped after 5 pulls. I will try to post some pics later. It looks like I might be in the market for a 77 cylinder. I know they are pretty scarce. I checked on having the cyl rechromed. It can be done, but for $200 I could get a running 77! If it were a rare saw I might do it, but not this. Anyone else ever seen this?
It is not uncommon to find this on the 77. It is not that commen on the 65.
This is due to a new teknik they started doing on 65/77 to cast and line cylinders. This was the first saws like this Husqvarna made.
Here it was called "Kokillcylinder", I have no idea what to call it in eng..

If you have that good compression with it and it runs, i would not bother with it. Run it til it dies, get another and use this for parts.

Back