Any Logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberFaller660

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondered how many people on here dont have any work right now? I aint cut a tree in over 3 months now & the closest mill to me thats open is about 2hrs away & the way log prices are you cant afford to truck them that far. Its driving me insane not being able to cut, i miss more & more everyday. I'm working construction right at the moment tryin to get through these slow times & its not bad, but theres nothing like being at the stump of a tree. So i just wanna see whos singin the blues with me & what everyone's doin to get bye. :bang:

Hey don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Times have been real bad here in the forest industry for several years now. Actually, stumpage prices started declining about ten years ago, and they never recovered. My son and I are in the forestry consulting business together (this is my 37th year). We did things like clear a lot by hand, refinished floors, built a shed for a forestry client and even sold a bit of firewood. My salary was the lowest in maybe twenty years in '09. We even started managing pecan groves to help make ends meet.

Loggers around here are hurting. I talked to one a couple months ago that was out of work for seven months straight.

I really don't know what to expect in the future, but right now it doesn't look very bright in our profession. All I can say is just be glad you have something to do and be proud of the fact that you're working and not sitting around feeling sorry for yourself.

Best of luck and hang in there. What else can we do ?

I don't know who said it but it's applicable with the present state of the economy.

"No matter how bad or how good it is, it will change"

I havnt cut a tree since the first week of october and i am also working construction and im not even at home. They closed another mill in northern ontario and they were also talking about shuttin the train down from sault ste marie to the remaining mill in espanola. So you would have to pay to have the logs trucked 2 1/2 hours away. The future dosent look bright but iam hoping somethings happens. The guy ive been cutting for has had his skidder parked for almost 4 months now.....saaaaad i say
i love the smell of a 2 stroke in the morning and the fresh air, cant stand this construction buisness but the money is alright.

Things here a bit slow, but picking up. Ties and grade lumber prices holding their own. People are really broke now, so it they own a tree its for sale. Got a few more jobs lined up. Nothing big, 80 and 40 acres. Looking in Arkansas and other places as well. Have saw, will travel. Keep your heads up guys, it will get better.

I'm glad that y'all have work (even if it isn't what you want to be doing). I graduated in Dec. '08 with a bachelors of science in forest management and minor in fisheries and wildlife biology and am finally starting a forestry job on the 18th (I'll be cruising for $9/plot and VERY glad to get it). I have been unemployed for 9 of the last twelve months (I worked for a farmer during harvest). I don't know how many times that I've been told that I'm "overqualified" or that the position that I applied for wasn't going to be filled for "economic" raesons.

No logging here. Two more of the local mills here shut down in the fall and there's no plans to start them back up. A buddy of mine who has been a consulting forester for 31 years is doing Christmas trees, carbon credits on his wetlands (wetlands exchange), and farming his own land full-time.

We'll be done this weekend with a strait tipping job, firewood logs.

After this there isn't even a sniff of anything paying that anyone has heard of. We still do one's and two's here and there when they come up. and there is a few old couples at the church that need some things cut, no pay of coarse but it is time on the saw for my boy when things aren't to spooky.

Nothing happening to the point we sold our equipment off so we could get away from the bills and have a little something in the bank. I am very thankful I have a regular day job so to speak.

Owl

not alot in north ga either,,all thats bringing a good price is pine decking logs and hardwood pulp..jobs are few and far between here. no big jobs left..luckly im set up to cut small tracts and stay busy on 2 to 5 acre tracts..and free woodin yards

The local export yard is going full tilt the snow level is way up so the woods are still open to cuttin and haulin trucks still runnin steady down the hill most stoppin at the export yard.

The local export yard is going full tilt the snow level is way up so the woods are still open to cuttin and haulin trucks still runnin steady down the hill most stoppin at the export yard.

That's what's going on in my neck of the woods too. We've been too wet for two weeks now.

I'm waiting for the father-son logging to get going. They're at almost 4000 ft.
elevation. I drove within a mile of it yesterday. No plowing yet. It was raining hard on what little snow was up there. Where I turned around is normally a parking lot for snowmobiles.

Just cuttng firewood

The unmentionables sued to stop the Log Jam USFS Tmber sale . 71 or 73 Million board foot sale on Prince of Wales Is ... Lot of small towns and communities really depend on logging ........ If they get it straightened out maybe I,ll go sniff around and see if there is any cutting to be had there ... I,ve cut around Log Jam crik in the past ....
. So I,m here in the Interior grossing 700-1300 a week cutting and selling firewood . Workin hard and generally having fun .............Definatly not makin much money , but doin ok ... Havn,t had to go to Prudhoe Bay this winter so far ............

The wood market in Maine and Northern New England is dead. Winter is when most harvest. The housing economy has tanked so there's no market for sawlogs--dimensional lumber. The few remaining paper mills are not accepting much pulp if at all; and, the price is so low thast it's hard to break even.

The only open selling is for firewood: high labor costs, expensive gear, and very low margins make it a tough job. Most firewood buyers are picky, unknowledgable, cheap, demanding, or all of the above. :confused:

It will change for the better---it always does here. :cheers:

Back