Any of you CADs looking to part with a DCS401?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themaddhatter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been looking around now for a nice ~40 cc saw for the wife for limbing.

When we do firewood, I usually fell with a dolkita 6401, and she limbs while I move to the next tree (safe distance away of course).

So she limbs with the other 6401. Problem is, for her it gets heavy quick. And 60cc really is excessive for limbing purposes.

Anyways, been looking around for a good 40 cc saw that isn't junk, isn't stupid $ and going to work well.

Today was the point that just ticked me off, as I was cruising through the pawn shop, and they had a Jonsered 2040 in decent shape. Thinking to myself "yeah that would work for her, even though it is a red Poulan", until I saw the tag: $225? ? ? :msp_confused: I actually asked the guy behind the counter if it was the right price. After he confirmed that, I was out of there :angry:

So here it is: I want 1-2 makita DCS401 saws. Only for the reason that I have other kita's, and except for the 028, it is just more crap to keep track of.

Anyone have a bead on any of these saws?

What's your budget and where are you at in MN?

My Dolmar guy has a new 420 on the shelf that I'm pretty sure could be had for under $300 OTD.

What's your budget and where are you at in MN?

My Dolmar guy has a new 420 on the shelf that I'm pretty sure could be had for under $300 OTD.

Rush City (halfway between TC and Duluth - Right on I35)

How far north are you? I really don't have a saw guy around here. Been fixing whatever I come across. Would be nice to put hands on one (actually to have the wife toss it around, since it would be "her" saw) :laugh: No real budget. If something works and fits the bill, I pay what feels fair.

But would like to send off the 6401s for rejugging and porting :D

How far north are you? I really don't have a saw guy around here. Been fixing whatever I come across. Would be nice to put hands on one (actually to have the wife toss it around, since it would be "her" saw) :laugh: No real budget. If something works and fits the bill, I pay what feels fair.

Bemidji.

I had the OEM 7900 P/C put on my 6400 this past December. I like it alot with a 24" bar. I definitely want to send it out to get massaged.

I found a Dolmar dealer close to you.

BRAHAM HDWE & RENTAL
104 WEST CENTRAL
BRAHAM
MN 55006
Phone (320) 396-4155
Fax (320) 396-4217
[email protected]

Heck, here's the link to the dealer locator page. I punched in Duluth.

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/contact/dealer_locator/

Last edited:

Madhatter:
I've got a DCS390 in really nice shape if you're interested and not 'married' (good choice of words here) to the idea of buying new .... Please PM me if interested.

Been looking around now for a nice ~40 cc saw for the wife for limbing.

When we do firewood, I usually fell with a dolkita 6401, and she limbs while I move to the next tree (safe distance away of course).

So she limbs with the other 6401. Problem is, for her it gets heavy quick. And 60cc really is excessive for limbing purposes.

Anyways, been looking around for a good 40 cc saw that isn't junk, isn't stupid $ and going to work well.

Today was the point that just ticked me off, as I was cruising through the pawn shop, and they had a Jonsered 2040 in decent shape. Thinking to myself "yeah that would work for her, even though it is a red Poulan", until I saw the tag: $225? ? ? :msp_confused: I actually asked the guy behind the counter if it was the right price. After he confirmed that, I was out of there :angry:

So here it is: I want 1-2 makita DCS401 saws. Only for the reason that I have other kita's, and except for the 028, it is just more crap to keep track of.

Anyone have a bead on any of these saws?

i've got a dolmar 102 i may part with, p/m me if youre interested, quite shure they are the same as the kita 401:D

Last edited:
I bought a 339xp for that purpose (wife + limbing) once, and ruled out the 401 etc for the bad AV and low max rpm. It was a good design back in the 1980s, but suffer from its age.....

I bought a 339xp for that purpose (wife + limbing) once, and ruled out the 401 etc for the bad AV and low max rpm. It was a good design back in the 1980s, but suffer from its age.....

You know, I did take a look at the 339xp, and I have heard good things about them, but the weird "grafted on rear handle" vibe coming off it makes it look awkward. I will admit though I haven't put hands on one.

How does it feel when you are holding onto it? is it well balanced? I know as a top handle saw people are pretty happy with them.

Did you go new or used?

And the thing that makes everything interesting with the wife is she is SouthPaw, so she does everything backwards :jester:

Guess that is what I get for marrying a red-headed Southpaw French Canadian Mainer :heart:

I have a few 339's and 1 401. The 401 is smaller, almost toy-ish, but the 339 is a fair bit stronger. Don't let the looks put you off. I probably wouldn't have considered them either just based on the look. But I can tell you after a good bit of time on mine that they are a very handy, nimble, and sturdy saw. Not that the 339 is a bear to start, but the 401 has a decomp if you think your wife might need it. Weight-wise, the 401 is lighter by a couple of ounces, both right at 9lbs.

Yeah considering we are talking about an 8" max cut, not really looking for a "hot saw"

To me, I really don't care about how something looks, so long as it get the job done well. Ugly saws need love too :heart:

Wife does pretty well with cold starting the 6401s, even with the left handed deficit. Whenever she has a problem starting it, the reason is usually unrelated to pulling the cord (no gas/switch off/no choke/etc)

Although when we lived in Maine we had a weed wacker that would only start after 60 or so pulls. Just a junky engine, really couldn't make it any better. I was gone on business, and she called me hotter than a hooker's who-ha over that thing. Her "gentle persuasion" made me tear off the recoiler and fab a drive mount to direct start from a cordless drill Every pull start engine we have now starts like a formula 1 car (except the saws).

A little saw will just make things easier for her. She seems to always do "projects" when I am away. Like take down about 40 little dogwoods saplings growing against the garage (maybe 1.5" was the thickest). Been there since we moved in. Never even told me that she wanted them down, so it wasn't like I was shirking my chainsawing responsibilities. She got in there and thinned it all with the 6401, but to me that is like shooting a prairie dog with a magnum rifle - sure it will kill it, but it is pretty ugly and excessive.

I bought the 401 bc I wanted a walk-around saw. Something light enough to carry around the woods and fields and not feel like I was toting a cinder block. Even a 346 gets heavy after a couple of hours of continuous carry. I liked the saw alot. Then, along came a few 339's and I realized just how much stronger they are. I would sell the 401 but my 8YO has claimed it as his. He likes for us to get it out and let him make some bucking cuts. He can start it without a problem. The 339 is pretty much everything the 401 is and stronger. The 401 may be an older design, and it feels that way to some extent, but I can't say the AV is a problem. To me the cheapest feeling part of the saw is the starter. I will say the I see the prices on 401's are usually about $100 cheaper.

I have a few 339's and 1 401. The 401 is smaller, almost toy-ish, but the 339 is a fair bit stronger. Don't let the looks put you off. I probably wouldn't have considered them either just based on the look. But I can tell you after a good bit of time on mine that they are a very handy, nimble, and sturdy saw. Not that the 339 is a bear to start, but the 401 has a decomp if you think your wife might need it. Weight-wise, the 401 is lighter by a couple of ounces, both right at 9lbs.

Not trying to thread steal but, Murph in the chain saw section I have a question for you (" checking squish on my 500") I tried to pm but your box is full.Sorry if i posted out of turn but I have been looking for a post with you in it.Thanks Jeff

Latest posts

Back