Any other compulsive tree trimmers out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive had many a near miss accident whilst driving and looking at trees. i always look for my top anchor point and have the thing dismantled before i get past i. the missus gets bored of me droning on and switches off into her own little world. even the lads at work are sick now.

Ye ever go on vacation ... and it doesn't stop ??? "I wonder what kind of tree THAT is ?" "Heyyyy, look at how they do THEIR easement trees!" "Do you suppose that tree would grow in Michigan if we bought a little one and babied it?" "Oh, Christ, look at that city guy riding on the back of the infeed chute to the chipper ! Tsk tsk!"
Trick is, most people I'm hanging with are also into trees. But the wheat gets seperated from the chaff real quick-like when those who insist we're on vacation and not allowed to talk trees get tossed out of the car.

I've even got my kids doing it,"look at that one dad,thats a silver maple right?" then I quiz them on the latin which they are picking up slowly.
I find myself climbing trees in my head,tie in spot,route up, where the tag line goes etc etc.
Does anyone else notice that it is easier for an arborist to notice a hawk or other large bird in a tree while going 65 on the highway? my wife will have no idea what I see.I think its because we know the structure of a tree and anything out of the ordinary sticks out like a sore thumb.

After thinking about my last few vacations theres an arguement to be made that they were planned around trees.Just havent made it to the sequoias yet.

one of my hols not so long ago centred around meetings with remarkable trees by thomas packenham. its kinda sad but we got all round scotland and had a good time, the missus got bored though

Starting early...

Well, I started climbing before the brain can remember; age 3-1/2. I do remember getting my shoes stuck in the mud by the creek I wasn't supposed to be by, but have no recollection of being up 20 feet in a tree. My old man's answer to my Mom was, "He got up there, he's goiung to have to get down!"

I am really, really trying hard to keep my mouth shut when my wife and I go for a walk. OnSunday, I only mentioned wanting to climb this certain white oak once. Wow, did I impress myself!

Usually when driving, it is a constant, "Hey! - Hey, watch it!" - as I venture on to the shoulder or margin.

What is probably keeping people wondering is my constant chatter to myself about how I am going to approach this tree or, this first, that second. I tell my wife that no one is up there to talk to, so I talk to myself to see if the idea feels right.

Now, there is this beautiful bur oak on the edge of town with an abnoxious buckthorn stem underneath it that just needs to be cut... I've wanted to stop and remove it many times, but I just haven't worked up the nerve yet - I am not sure who owns the property, or I would have contacted them by now.

It has got to be an illness. Today, as I am driving through the countryside, I even notice trees way out there along fencelines and think, "Those would look a lot better if they were cleaned up a bit..." and then I come to my senses and realize they are fine just the way they are!

"Those would look a lot better if they were cleaned up a bit..." and then I come to my senses and realize they are fine just the way they are!

I do that along the freeway in MKE all the time. Theres this pine with salt spray damamge that would look real cool if it were cleaned up. It's by the zoo if i remember right, 45 southbound....

You know how old people tell the same stories over-and-over, and everybody gently sighs deep and endures ? Picture my kids samey-same of me. And the rest of my family. And my boyfriend. And my customers. And co-workers sometimes. And the people in line at the grocery store. And...

I am with you guys. As I drive in my town I would love to be a door knocker sometimes, seeing all the work out there. Also it drives me nuts when I am driving in the country and you see large dead stems in peoples front yards. I could never imagine leaving a job with a large trunk still standing. :rolleyes:

Mark

i was trying to explain to my wife what topping meant. when i got done, she looked at me and said "so then that is bad, right?" i looked at her and said, "its not that bad, gives me more work when the trees need to be removed"

I KNEW I WAS NOT ALONE!!!

I am constantly looking at trees, it has even rubbed off on my wife and son. My wife started gawking at trees also and sometimes puts fliers in there door, it has payed off big.

One of the first things I look for in a tree is a good tie in spot.
I to have almost run off the road looking, it could be more dangerous than talking on cell phone & driving. I need help.... :cool:

i just see the $$$signs,im glad im not lineclearing that takes a little to get outa the looking habit

GICON said:
Tree is right over the driveway and if it was to ever uproot because of the lean it has, results would be trajic,

Is it showing signs of doing that? Has the root ball raised on the far side? Just because a tree leans doesn't mean it's unsafe.

Ya know? ;)

Trees-they arnt making any money just standing there. Like when all you have is a hammer pretty soon everthing starts to look like a nail.

Latest posts

Back