Any particular make/model have a reputation for being consistently easiest to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihls for sure. I hear tell they make 056's that start them selves.

Easiest I have, Prokut55.Warm or cold,choke,half throdel. one pull everytime.Unless someone else is watching.Go figure:greenchainsaw:

When I first started using chainsaws I had some trouble starting them.
After I got it down, I can start anyone of mine any time. Unless I try to start it with the switch off.

But I've always notice that my Stihl starts easier. A friend of mine has Stihls and he's always bragging how easy they start up.

I brought a couple of Huskies that came in on trade because the last owners had trouble starting them and the both will start for me every time. So technique goes along way.

Dig the sig, mund.

My semi-new Husky brush cutter wont start and run right after only a month of sitting with Amoco Gold and Stihl Ultra. Serves me right for departing from the tried-and-true....................

O.K. thanks all for the suggestions. I looked at a couple of Echo models this morning, and will visit the Stihl dealership this weekend. I am trying to stick with something I can buy in-person.

The easiest starting saw I have ever used is my current Echo CS-440. Always a 1-2 puller from cold and 1 pull from hot.
+1

My 5 year old Echo climbing saw refuses to be be anything less than perfect. I want to buy a Stihl 200t but I have yet to replace a single Echo part. Even the pull cord is original. Its a 1 puller even in early March. I often climb a tree with my Echo without bothering to "pre-start". It always works.

If Echo could make a saw equal to the Dolmar 5100 and 7900 I`d be all about "Gray"!

Last edited:
I have an 044 that is easy to pull and cold fires on 1 to 4 pulls and starts first pull afterwards consistantly. Its my favorite saw to run on long days Most the other saws I use require firmer support for the pull and usually don't fire off as quick although the new Makita dcs 6401 starts nearly as well.
I think a good choke system affects starting almost as much as good tuning. Adjusting the carb a little rich usually makes it cold start easiar but you don't want it running excessively rich cutting so sometimes I find myself inbetween maximum performance and best starting on fnal carb adjustment.

C.G. that's one I looked at the other day, the 400. I like how they're put together, the five year warranty, and it's certainly priced right. If they are as easy to start as advertised, Echo will be a hard option to deny. I'll really have to be taken by stihl this weekend to justify spending twice as much.

B.W. does your 044 have the decompression valve? I've heard varying reports on how helpful those are. I might take harder to pull if it is taking one less variable for me to mess up out of the equation (I.E. my goal is less complicated to start). I read here about the F.D. that disabled their stihl's decomps because they were flooding them using that feature.

Stihls for sure. I hear tell they make 056's that start them selves.

:arg:.....Hey BigBore, cool avatar but you're wrong again.

Any self respecting sportsman knows the barrels should be horizontal, like the good Lord made your eyes.....Not vertical! :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back