Any problems from me standing on my stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean I stand on my stove-ONLY when I clean the chimney because he is in a corner and I can't get leverage since I clean the pipe from bottom up-I can't get to the top of the pipe very easily from outside, so I "stradle" one foot on the stove and one on a brick ledge on the wall. I've been doing this for years, but just recently was thinking "I hope this doesn't harm anything"; I weigh 190 and he weighs 470, so I'm glad it ain't the other way around!

I don't notice any problems from this, but thought I'd ask you guys-thanks!:greenchainsaw:

Does your foot get hot when your standing on it? I wouldnt think there would be a problem. As long as your not doin a Irish jig up there.:cheers:

Irish jig ??? Heck no....... its melted his $200 Nikes right to the top of his stove ! When he lifted his foot the bottom of his sneaks looked like that glue the professor made to glue boards over the hole in the side of the S.S. Minnow !! :dizzy::dizzy:

Do you play golf ? Just don't wear your golf cleated shoes if you do while standing on the stove. You might scratch the surface on it.

I really don't think you are going to hurt anything by standing on the stove. Just don't get too close to an edge and tilt or scoot the stove.

Nosmo

All woodstoves I've seen are quite sturdy and should easily support a person standing on them.

The only exception being those with bolt on legs at each corner and maybe a leg has the bolts rusted or not bolted on well. And a leg might break off.

And in that case, I suppose you could place a jack or blocks of wood under it for safety support.

But since you have been doing this for years, I imagine there is no problem!

Another thing to consider is a wood floor and what the floor will support in one spot. My woodstove weights 450 pounds and when I installed it, the floor would creak when someone walked up to it.

I inspected the floor in the crawl space under the stove and there was not very good support there, so I added a couple of supports directly under the woodstove and end of problem.

In general a floor should be able to support several persons standing in the same area like if you were having a party. But wood will rot or there can be termites, then the floor would not be as strong.

if it hurts the stove ,then you probably dont want it anyways becuase it would be too flimsy to burn out of

Thanks guys; I know that it sounded nuts to ask, but I started thinking about it and called on everyone's "wisdom and experience". I have been doing this for years, and he doesn't seem to mind!

Some pretty funny answers too, by the way...:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back