any reason to get more than a 22t splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got my eye on the Huskee/speeco unit at TSC. Is there any reason for a casual user to get a bigger one (27 or 35T)? I have about 40 downed trees to spilt on my property and maybe the same number at the in laws and after that it will see occasional use. I am a good candidate for a rental other than my need to buy equipment! None of the trees will be huge and I will not be in a huge hurry. Am I not thinking of something? The reviews on the 22t are great and for $999 I don't know if it can be beat.

Nick,

Lots of satisfied users of that guy. What kind of wood are you splitting?

I've used 20-ish tons, several different syles, and they all work for me. Anything really nasty/ knotty, just go for the chainsaw as they aren't going to make nice firewood pieces anyways.

Go for it, and buy it on sale to save a couple hundred.

Bought mine labor day weekend 2009. (Free financing for a year on TSC credit card.) I bought mine for personal use (home). It has split everything I have thrown at it. Maybe not the fastest splitter but I have been very pleased with mine. Had problem with the filter/relief valve and Speeco sent me a new one under warranty. Also replaced the return line after it got a "bubble" in it. Great customer support! I would buy another one except, for what I do this one should last me a lifetime. Some have added a "handle" to theirs to make it easier/safer to hitch/unhitch.

my homebuilt is approx 24 tons and i'm yet to have any problems spliiting.In my opinion the 22 would work out great.as nice mentioned the nasty stuff can be cut with saw...

Is there any reason for a casual user to get a bigger one (27 or 35T)?

Because you can. Human nature (in the U.S anyway) always makes us want something bigger and more powerful.

I have a 22 ton Huskee and it has split everything I have asked it to and has done it well with the exception of a few blocks of wood I had given to me. I don't know what kind of wood it was but I don't want anymore even though it did burn very well. I have often wondered how the 35T would have performed on the tough stuff.

You can't go wrong no matter what choice you make.

The main thing that you gain is cycle time with the bigger units. I regularly use both a 22T troy built from the early '90's and a 35T Husky. The husky is a little faster. I have stopped the ram on some really gnarly stuff with the TB, but a different approach on the piece always resulted in a split. The 35T will power through just about anything.

Better components on the larger unit that should have been on the smaller one? Tonnage is just BS from 90% of the companies.

That's true. It's why I plan on building my own splitter that I can convert into a shop press. Think 45-55 ton. :D:D:D:D:D:D There. I told my secret plans. :laugh:

I've got my eye on the Huskee/speeco unit at TSC. Is there any reason for a casual user to get a bigger one (27 or 35T)? I have about 40 downed trees to split on my property and maybe the same number at the in laws and after that it will see occasional use. I am a good candidate for a rental other than my need to buy equipment! None of the trees will be huge and I will not be in a huge hurry. Am I not thinking of something? The reviews on the 22t are great and for $999 I don't know if it can be beat.

I have the 34 ton Speeco and never found a piece of wood that I couldn't split and I do a lot of nasty looking stuff. As far as splitting wood, I'm sure the 22 ton will do any and everything you want in a splitter. The Speeco 34/35 has a much stronger frame so for us (pulling it through the woods) was a better way to go because our trails get to be a bit nasty. My first splitter was homemade and maybe 20 ton with an 8 HP BS engine. It was more than big enough for my needs. If I was to buy a splitter again, I'd go with the 22, buy a crank type jack stand and be more careful down the trails.

I've got my eye on the Huskee/speeco unit at TSC. Is there any reason for a casual user to get a bigger one (27 or 35T)? I have about 40 downed trees to spilt on my property and maybe the same number at the in laws and after that it will see occasional use. I am a good candidate for a rental other than my need to buy equipment! None of the trees will be huge and I will not be in a huge hurry. Am I not thinking of something? The reviews on the 22t are great and for $999 I don't know if it can be beat.

I have seen them at TSC they don't look too bad. Years ago a freind had a splitter with a 5hp motor and a 11 gal per min pump. It had a 4"by24" cylinder. HE couldn't stand the slowest of that pump we up graded him to a 10hp and a 22 GPM pump. I sure would spend the extra money and get the bigger one. If you ever want to sell it should sell eaiser. Of course any hyd splitter is better than by hand.

I've often wondered why anyone would need anything bigger as my 22 ton tsc has split everything as well.

One thing nice about the 22 ton is it that I can move it around in my yard by hand by myself. I wouldn't be able to do that with some of the old hogs I used before!

And it takes up less space in my shed(I have tiny shed syndrome!).

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will check em out and unless the 22t looks puny next to the bigger one I will get it. I will post reviews after I try it out!

Is there any reason for a casual user to get a bigger one (27 or 35T)?

To compensate for other things?!:hmm3grin2orange:

My 22 is faster than my cousin's 35 with no load. Smaller cylinder=faster cycle time. It is easy for me to manhandle my splitter, his is a bee with an itch.

I love the working height of mine and all it needs is a table. 35 tons are on sale right now for $1599. Not worth an extra 6-700 bucks if you ask me.

A friend of mine has an old MTD 22 ton with the old style 5hp Broke and Stuck engine. I've used it quite a few times and I have only run into two pieces of wood that it wouldn't split. It's been a tough reliable piece of equipment and I know he has been very happy with it.

I have an old 20t Iron and Oak (probably at least 15 yrs old) with the original Briggs on it. It has pushed through everything we have thrown at it except one. A really hard knotty piece of petrified wood!! Just used the chainsaw to split it!!! We split Elm, Oak, Cedar, Walnut, Pine, stuff with big ole swirly knots, it just keeps on going and it's only a 20 ton unit.

Hope that helps in some small way! Roger

To run a four-way wedge.
That said I'm also very pleased with my 5 plus year old 22 ton huskee it has caused me no grief. In the 50 plus cords it has done I'd say it failed to split maybe 20 times at most.
I too will recommend this splitter to a man doing less than say 15 cords a year.
Another factor is that Speeco's customer service appears to be at the top of the class. I've never had to use it, but those who have write they are very pleased with the attention and prompt resolution of their issues.

Now if there was an 30 plus ton splitter in my barn right now I promise you it would be wearing a hydraulically controlled four-way wedge and a log lift.
Now we're talking some big bucks.

Bigger is always better!

A 22 ton splitter will do anything you ask of it. A 35 ton one will get through those really tough pieces and either split it or just cut through it.

The 22 probably cycles faster.

Hal

In my opinion (everyone has one), if you need the bigger splitter to get thru it, you're probably shredding it and not splitting it...which makes a nasty piece of firewood.

I've shredded my fair share of wood, just to see if would do it...but I should have used the chainsaw so that it stacked and carried better.

Good luck either way you go.

So far my 22T Speeco has split anything I've placed under the wedge. I split lots of Shag Bark Hickory, Ash, Elm & Oak with great results. I split 5 or 6 cords per year and have been very satisfied with it. Let us know what you decide to buy! :computer:

Latest posts

Back