Any reservations about a Fiskars X27 for short people?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm 5'8"...Any short peeps swinging a 36" Fiskars X27? My 6lb maul is 36" and so is my sledge. My monster maul is 30". My 6lb is my go-to splitter. Any reservations about the Fiskars X27? Looks like great reviews. I was sold on a Stihl PA-80 until I found the Fiskars. The long handle would seem to be a little safer too. Looks like a nice gift for my Pop and me. :msp_rolleyes:

It is all in the ability of the operator. Longer handle might keep you from hitting your legs and hit the ground first. I am 5'8" and have no problem with a 36", I think the taller dudes would want a 48" if their wrists can handle it. You can a better hit with a longer handle, just need more wrist strength.

Im 5'8 as well. Im completely comfortable with my swing and effective too. Dont hold back. Get the x27. You wont regret it. Its lightweight and your swing speed will double. I also split with a 36/ 6 lb maul prior to the fiskars. Easy transition.

Last edited:
I don't have an x27 yet, but I cant see you having any problems running one. Same as any other swinging tool, reach out, stance, tap the object, adjust stance, fine tune it, let er rip!

I've been toying with the idea of making a splitting axe/maul with like a long halberd sized handle, 4 to 5 feet maybe. As in "why not"? Get some dang SPEED thing going there with a light head.

Just for sport, and who knows, might actually work pretty good!

I'm 5'9".... I use the X27... bought the shorter (27or 28") X25 next... It works ok if I use a large splitting block. Mostof my wood is split where it is cut so picking up each piece twice to split it doesn't make sense. I like the X27. I use the X15 for cutting small saplings down or driving wedges, and lastly the X7 for splitting up camp wood/kindling. I bought the x27 first and still like it the best

40CE831A-095D-4169-BD39-D49A4718FE55-378-000003EFF93BB0B5.jpg

Back