Any "safe" starting fluid for a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any safe starting fluid for a reluctant saw? WD40 maybe?

When dealing with a reluctant saw it is wise to check for spark and fuel. Since I find it very difficult to check for spark while also trying to pull the cord, it crossed my mind to give the saw a snort of something, to help diagnose.

But pretty reluctant to try "starter fluid" since it has no lube. Even for "just a couple seconds" of running. Just looking to make it snarl for a second or two, to prove spark, then dig into why no mix is getting there.

Any safe starting fluid for a reluctant saw? WD40 maybe?

When dealing with a reluctant saw it is wise to check for spark and fuel. Since I find it very difficult to check for spark while also trying to pull the cord, it crossed my mind to give the saw a snort of something, to help diagnose.

But pretty reluctant to try "starter fluid" since it has no lube. Even for "just a couple seconds" of running. Just looking to make it snarl for a second or two, to prove spark, then dig into why no mix is getting there.
Pre mix from a squirter bottle

some starting fluids are labeled to contain cylinder lubricant for use in 2 strokes. I have used them for a while on 2 strokes but still just very lightly. If it still won't start on just a quick burst or 2 of fluid, then something needs to be adjusted or fixed.

This site is terrified of quick start fluid, and I think it is over done. An engine that needs a squirt is only going to run for a fraction of a second, so how much damage can it do. I say none to so small that it is impossible to determine.
Why do any damage? If an engine won't start on a small squirt of fuel mix then something's wrong with it and it needs worked on. The guys I've seen that use starting fluid don't just do a small squirt they put a bunch of it in there!

This site is terrified of quick start fluid, and I think it is over done. An engine that needs a squirt is only going to run for a fraction of a second, so how much damage can it do. I say none to so small that it is impossible to determine.
don’t ever run an engine without oil unless your intent is to destroy it.

I won't even use ether on a diesel. An acquaintance that specialized in rebuilding injector pumps and injectors gave me this advice years ago. Sometime later I watched the idiot resident mechanic at my last job wipe out a pump on a 6cyl Deere engine in an air compressor when the bolt head forgot to fuel it up at the beginning of the day. He used more than he should have but in all honesty not an excessive amount like a half a can or something crazy. Whether ether caused the pump to fail or just finished it off that always stuck with me.
As has been said, if it isn't starting on its own - no matter the engine - somethings wrong. Fix the problem.

Why chance causing damage when there is no need to? I prime saws all the time but it is with fuel in a syringe and a piece of fuel line. Others use bottles which is fine. We all have our preferred methods

Back