Any thoughts on the ms400c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve been reading about it. I’m curious how it runs. It says it revs to 14000. I bet if that piston is super light you could potentially push it to 15000 if the coil and that would let you

All my saws are stock never checked the rpm with what the 400 is doing, but I really like the 400 with the power and lighter weight.

Revs ain't worth squat if it's not accompanied by toque the Ms 260 is a prime example of that .
This is spot on ^^

I think the overall package of the 260 is fairly good and if used as intended as a limbing saw it’s ok, but it doesn’t come even remotely close to what the 034 Super has to offer for just a little extra weight.

Wish I could get a 400 for $880 in this country I think the price will be 17 to $1,800 here

I'm considering one as my second saw and would run a 20" light bar on it, currently have a 261 with an 18" ES bar on it. I'm a firewood weekend warrior. If I don't like the feel of it, I'll probably get the 500i instead, or the 462. The 462 made me feel like Paul Bunyan though when I held it, so if I'm going to feel like Paul I might as well act like him with the 500i.

Magnesium's ignition temp is around 600 degees C (around 1100 F) depending on the alloy. Aluminium is 550 degrees C according to the reference I have. Their melting points are similar.

The parts inside of a running engine are cooler than you think.

The only reference I can find for piston temperatures is a FEA simulation which has the top of the crown at 183 C and other engine parts like cylinder and head a bit hotter. They had the underside of the crown at around 100 C. That seems to make sense as the piston has the fresh mixture on the underside cooling it, and there is a thin boundary layer of air on top that protects the crown from the heat of combustion. The "death ash" you see under the crown of pistons in engines run at the very edge of seizing (or beyond) is basically burning oil. Motor oil burns at around 150-200 C so those FEA numbers seem about right.

The Mag piston isn’t for weight reduction as much as it’s for warranty issues. That info is coming form a licensed Stihl dealer and tech who attended the dealership meetings at Stihl USA.

It seems that Mag won’t stick to Nikasil like aluminum will. So any overheating/straight gas/other user issues result in a scored piston with no meaningful cylinder damage at all. Another piston can be popped in and the saw can be run again.

Again, that’s info I got from a very reputable source.

If I didn’t have a 462, I’d likely grab a 400.

Last I looked it was $2200 for a 462 and after running one (ported) for a couple a days I would rather stick to my ported 460 and 461 .
Not the same pricing in the US, a 462 can be had for 1,200 or a little less if you look around. 460 is a nice saw no doubt especially ported, but I like the smoothness of the spring AC saws and most run them stock, and stock the 462 feels better in my hands.[emoji111]

Not the same pricing in the US, a 462 can be had for 1,200 or a little less if you look around. 460 is a nice saw no doubt especially ported, but I like the smoothness of the spring AC saws and most run them stock, and stock the 462 feels better in my hands.[emoji111]
I sold my Husqvarna 390 XP because of the soggy spring AV I just cannot get a feel for the saw too soft I borrowed a mate's 462 I'm not impressed with them either even just standing in the shop the 500 feels even worse I suppose I am lucky because I don't suffer from vibes give rubber av any day .

I sold my Husqvarna 390 XP because of the soggy spring AV I just cannot get a feel for the saw too soft I borrowed a mate's 462 I'm not impressed with them either even just standing in the shop the 500 feels even worse I suppose I am lucky because I don't suffer from vibes give rubber av any day .

I know my 441 is good in that regard. Pretty smooth to run. A tad heavy with a 28” but cuts good. I have it rigged up for small firewood rn full house chain with an 8 pin sprocket

Everyone is different. I've ran a lot of equipment in my day, some would make my hands totally numb for days after, plus I'm getting arthritis. So for me the old saws are not really for use anymore. Lol the 390 has firm AV compared to the new Stihl saws, so if you don't like the 390, no I guess you wouldn't like the new Stihl saws.

Back