Any thoughts on this craiglist ad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think alittle detail, history and description would go along way on some peoples behalf. Personally I think that is alittle bit pricey for a saw of its age but if you are intersted check it out. It does say Obo.

I don't know how much they sold for 20 yrs. ago but that's just way too much today.
A saw that old will probably need work unless it's been maintained REALLY well. In that size range those models are a b#tch to work on compared to th 026/260.
If you need to do work to make it run perfectly its gonna cost ya, especially if compression is low or seals are leaking.
Better wait for a saw to rebuild for $50 if you want to fix it or better yet wait for an 026/260 and pay a little more.
That said, my first saw an 025, lasted a long, long time because I took good care of it but when it came to fixing it, it was a real drag.
Unless you're in desperate need of a saw, I'd say wait for one that will last.
But thats just me.
:cheers:

Actually the 024 is the same saw as the 026/260, it's just an earlier version of it. The 024 was the first of the 'modern' design Stihl saws and was introduced in North America in 1982. The Wood Boss is the later incarnation of the 024 (1986) and has the same stroke length as the 026 but a smaller bore (42mm vs. 44mm). An 024 is good condition will cut circles around an 025, mainly because the 024 is a 'Pro' engine and the 025 is a 'Consumer' engine.

That ad is a little ambitious- the pic is small and blurry and sight unseen, the price is a little high. I've seen mint condition or like-new 024 Wood Boss saws go for as high as $240 on e-bay recently and deservedly so. All of the parts are still available and many of the MS-260 parts will supersede. I'll tell you what a good running saw is- Take a new OEM MS-260 44.7mm top end and put it on an 024 Super or Wood Boss case. It will outcut the MS-260 hands down. It does even better if it has the Tillotson HU carb.

Well thanks for the info, I'll let you guys know if I buy it. There's an 034 I've been trying to get ahold of, finally went to look at it today after the guy bein busy for 2 weeks, lo and behold I took a shortcut slid in a ditch and by the time I got the truck out and got over there the guy wasn't there. :bang:

Actually the 024 is the same saw as the 026/260, it's just an earlier version of it. The 024 was the first of the 'modern' design Stihl saws and was introduced in North America in 1982. The Wood Boss is the later incarnation of the 024 (1986) and has the same stroke length as the 026 but a smaller bore (42mm vs. 44mm). An 024 is good condition will cut circles around an 025, mainly because the 024 is a 'Pro' engine and the 025 is a 'Consumer' engine.

That ad is a little ambitious- the pic is small and blurry and sight unseen, the price is a little high. I've seen mint condition or like-new 024 Wood Boss saws go for as high as $240 on e-bay recently and deservedly so. All of the parts are still available and many of the MS-260 parts will supersede. I'll tell you what a good running saw is- Take a new OEM MS-260 44.7mm top end and put it on an 024 Super or Wood Boss case. It will outcut the MS-260 hands down. It does even better if it has the Tillotson HU carb.

+1, I don't think the price is THAT far out of line (if it's in the condition described). And in addition to what you said, Jacob, it may be my imagination, but the antivibe on an 024 seems to be better than the 026...but then maybe it's the smaller engine.

I've got a saw just like it, and that price is just a little high IMO. My 024 has been a good little saw for a few years now. It's light and does a great job of limbing and even falling medium size trees. When it comes to cutting firewood though it has problems with anything over about 8". It will cut it, but you have to be a little more gentile with it to keep it from stalling out.

Personally I would offer them $140 cash and see what they did. I wouldn't go over $150. But that's just me.

Heh - you must be in my neck of the woods. I just bought that saw last night! After some haggling and going back and forth, I took it for half the listed price. I'll be posting a "help!" momentarily. :)

Huh, I offered $125...

Did you make it out to look at the saw?

In my emails back and forth I had him down to $150, then someone looked at the saw and shied away when he saw the smoking issue. I managed another $50 right then, since it would need some work, and haggled another $10 when I showed up to look at it.

I think I did OK; the true test will be when it goes through the shop and then starts getting use.

Back