Any use of this wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, new guy here. I had gotten myself on the wood list with a few tree company's in the area. Got a call yesterday for 2 sites.

1st was 2 pickup loads of apricot wood.

2nd was a nightmare. Would have been about 4-6 truckloads of elm, but the neighbor got all of it! So much for communication...

So, I have researched a little about the apricot wood and its used for various things like instruments, handles, smoking, and bbq's.

Its sad that over half is in rounds, but this stuff is HEAVY! I have never dealt with such a dense wood!

My question is, is there anything I can do with it? A family friend owns a wood chipper for his tree business, and also has a portable sawmill. So I was thinking about chipping the wood up and making wood slats for I dunno what.

Ideas?

You can use if for what ever you want. I have seen wood used for all kinds of stuff. Have you ever seen hedge cabnets? They look great. I have seen cotton wood inlays in some very nice guns. I have sold crotches of wood that was turned in to bowls, pistol grips among other things.

Ray

Okay, I'm just confused on the value of the apricot wood. I know its definitely not an everyday tree, and if I can sell it for some good use to people, I want to make it fair.

If I chipped it all up, and made 5lb bags, how much would you think would be fair for 5lb chip wood for smoking and bbq'ing?

Dont chip it, we (smokers) would prefer it in bigger barkless chunks. The chipped #### burns too fast.

...thats because its on fire! :D

So how could I go about making chunks? Cut the wood into small rounds and then use an axe to split them? Season them out and then debark and package?

I've cut logs into 10 inch pieces then split them. I've even thrown cookies into the smoker but chunks seem to work the best in my smoker. People on ebay actually sell boxes of wood or smoking I'm guessing the people that buy them are the same ones that get fire wood at the gas station.

I've cut logs into 10 inch pieces then split them. I've even thrown cookies into the smoker but chunks seem to work the best in my smoker. People on ebay actually sell boxes of wood or smoking I'm guessing the people that buy them are the same ones that get fire wood at the gas station.

What's wrong with that?!?

:laugh:

:clap:

Yep. A CL ad has a post about 3/4 chord of cherry and apple wood. $25 for it all. I'm beginning to think that I'm gonna get to expand on the smoke wood...

So you guys trying to imply something like it isnt worth the time to do it since there is so much already out there?

You'd have to list it and see. I'd take a bag off your hands just to give it a try.

I'd take $50 worth, no hardwoods, fruit or nut woods here. The only thing we can use for smoking is alder. You cover the shipping. Kodiak,AK

If you guys are serious, I will take you up on the offer. Currently, I'm still in the process of getting permission to use a chipper and sawmill to make chips and planks. If you guys want chunks instead, let me know. That I can do immediately. I will have to add a bit extra as the wood is still semi-green.

I couldn't believe it, but the cherry/apple ad on CL had already been removed! Stuff goes fast! And I already have another hit on the apricot wood.

So you guys trying to imply something like it isnt worth the time to do it since there is so much already out there?

Bingo.

If you don't have an automated setup for chipping AND bagging it, don't waste your time. You'll make less than minimum wage. Probably a LOT less.

Sell if for firewood, locally.

Bingo.

If you don't have an automated setup for chipping AND bagging it, don't waste your time. You'll make less than minimum wage. Probably a LOT less.

Sell if for firewood, locally.

Maybe or maybe not, depends on the market in the area. If I wanted a certain wood for smoking meat, I'd rather buy it in logs then chipped or shredded. I'm sure if your going big time then it might appeal to some people that way but like I said if there was a certain type of wood available in the area I'd buy it whole and chunk it up myself.

Apricot is a good smoking wood for white meat. 2" by 2" by 2" chunks is what I use, or close to it. I run my smoking wood through the splitter until I get 2" by 2" by whatever length. Then I use the miter saw for the final cut. If I was going to sell some I'd just sell it in rounds and let the buyer do what he wishes with it.

Apricot is a good smoking wood for white meat. 2" by 2" by 2" chunks is what I use, or close to it. I run my smoking wood through the splitter until I get 2" by 2" by whatever length. Then I use the miter saw for the final cut. If I was going to sell some I'd just sell it in rounds and let the buyer do what he wishes with it.

Thats what I was thinking too, just sell the wood and let the buyer make it into the size they want. I dont use the wood as a heat source per say, I use charcole and try to get the wood just smoking not all out burning, so for my smoker small chuncks work best.

I looked on usps for the price of shipping $50 worth of wood and it would cost about $85 just to ship it...

I'll trade you 6 jars of apricot wood smoked salmon for a USPS large flat rate box full of chunks. Seriously.

As well, I would'nt have a clue as to the value of the wood. Should I sell by weight or by volume?

Latest posts

Back