anybody else this dumb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you did pretty good

You were looking for a fuel delivery problem and low and behold, thats what it was !

Old Blue
Taxed to pay for a bunch of rich pricks solar cells, maids and gardeners in...
Kali-bone-ya

I plead stupid for this one. First try to start splitter in the spring, no go, a few sputters. Do a fe wchecks, pulled the plug - totally foobar, looked like it needed replacing 5 years ago. Off to town for a new plug, intalled. Pull, pull, pull, rinse repeat, prime, mor pull, nothing.

Finally gave up, hooked up and towed it 4 miles to the town fix-it shop. Explained the problem, went out to unhook and was looking right at that plug wirelaying there not connected. Installed, one pull and running. very sheepishly waved that the shop guy ,hoping he hadn't seen me connect it, and left.

Actually had a tow truck haul my PU to town as it died and wouldn't restart while I was unloading wood. Next day it was ready. Problem? Empty tank. Problem: nut behind wheel didn't think to check it or swap over to the full tank.

Harry K

Put a bike engine together and went to adjust the valves - 'what the heck?'

Then I noticed the pushrods sitting on the bench.

I take my bar and chain off pretty regularly to clean the saw and get all the crap build up out of it and I was doing this while talking with my brother inlaw before we went to cut down a tree. Well started to try to cut into the tree and the saw wasnt cutting and I was confused cause I had just sharpened the chain. Looked at my chain and realized I had put the chain on backwards. lol The chain did spin though...

"ON" switches

Cant even begin to count the times ive worn my shoulder out trying to pull start something and finally realized i forgot to flip the kill switch back to "ON".

lol I have seen that so many times. Seems like my bro inlaw does that everytime he goes woodhauling with me. im like hey guy might want to put the switch on. That and its funny to watch him try to drive my truck with 5 speed and he constantly stalls out and he cant figure out the ebrake is on.

I did a fresh carb cleaning with new fuel in tank on a saw i had been fighting for years. I pulled and pulled and it wouldn't fire. Primed it and would fire. Then I remembered the needles were fully seated. Backed them out and fired right off and tuned better than ever.

:clap:

I did a psi/vac test on my 49sp......got it back together and it wouldn't run .....I only could get a single pop out of it and then nothing choke again...pop..nothing....... (this was my only saw.......well had the XL2).......turns out I had forgotten the sealing rubber I had put in between the cylinder and muffler! :clap:

How are we 'doing' OP?:msp_w00t: :msp_wub: :msp_scared: :dizzy: ?????

The one that still bothers me until this day is when I was changing the oil in my truck. Drained the oil then replaced the oil filter. Poured one very expensive bottle of Lucas Stabilizer and then four to five quarts of Valvoline. Fired up the truck and KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!... Forgot to screw the damn oil plug back into the pan!!! :bang: Live and learn I guess

That reminds me of one my brother and I did when we were pretty young. We changed the tranny in an old Maverick and forgot to hook up the cooler lines. Pouring fluid in with the engine running and it would never get full..........there was a river of fluid running down the hill behind the car. :msp_sad:

Yes Sir,

2100 Husky had it all torn down all Winter, new paint, the whole 9 yards.

Carefully assembled the old girl on an old bath towel to avoid any scratches.

All back together, gassed it up, pulled it over about 5 or 6 times, She came to life, sweet.

Warmed it up a little, played with the needles and proceeded to rev the crap out of it, shut her off very satisfied, she was runnin' like a Banshee.

Went to clean up the work area, what do I see?

A very lonely looking retaining ring,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Dohhhh!

No harm, no foul,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this time.

last week I was repairing a power mac 380. I replaced the spark plug wire, carb kit, and fuel lines. When I got it all back together, it started and ran pretty well for a few minutes. When I was trying to adjust the carb, it died. I restarted it and continued on. It died after just a few seconds. Then I had to prime it with carb cleaner to start it. It would not run long, so I took the carb apart again. Everything looked ok. Put it back together, same thing. Run with prime for a few seconds and then die. I ran out of time for the day, so I put it back on the bench puzzled. Today I stated on another saw, still pondering the mac. When I got the second saw together, I went to put mix in the tank. I thought I'll just pour the mix out of that dang mac. When I went to pour, I found the tank on the mac empty! I had been taking all sorts of things apart looking for a fuel delivery problem. Turns out it runs much better with mix in the tank. It's a dang good thing that I enjoy this stuff. It's also good I don't do it for a living.

pretty easy to do with macs.... they need gas pretty often!!!!!!!!

I was running a saw in a woodpile when I got it back from port work several years ago. It just quit in a cut and wouldn't restart. I wore my arm out trying to start it and then looked to see it was empty. It didn't take 15 minutes for a tank on it.

My favorite "doh" moments have been changing motor oil. Everything goes fine then you start up the vehicle and oil go squirting everywhere. Cold sweat. Then come to find out that stupid oil filter rubber gasket sticks to the block and the new oil filter screws down on top of it = no seal. Done that on once on a truck and twice on motorcycles.

You guys are making me feel a lot better. :msp_rolleyes:

I stopped on the way home from work to cut a little firewood out of a cull deck. I'd forgotten that I'd just changed chains on the 660, got interrupted by somebody, and left the bar nuts loose.
About the third cut the side cover came off...along with the bar. Worst part was, the wife was there and got the whole thing on video.

Here's a pic of that saw after putting the MIA pin retainer back in.

See, still no scratches, unfourtunatly after a bit of use the paint started coming off the bottom (oil impregnated mag?)

She still runs like a Banshee a year later.

attachment.php

You guys are making me feel a lot better. :msp_rolleyes:

I stopped on the way home from work to cut a little firewood out of a cull deck. I'd forgotten that I'd just changed chains on the 660, got interrupted by somebody, and left the bar nuts loose.
About the third cut the side cover came off...along with the bar. Worst part was, the wife was there and got the whole thing on video.

Post the video!

Was helping a buddy work on his chevelle back in the 80's, kept over heating and losing coolant. So we got it running with the hood up and it starts over heating, my buddy tries to take the pressurized radiator cap off and burns his hand. He wises up and takes his shirt off to put over the cap so he can remove it. It worked, as soon as the cap was loose, boiling hot antifreeze shoots out and up, hits the hood, and covers my buddies shirtless body with boiling fluid.

Latest posts

Back