anybody else this dumb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At work and....
Big Cummins 550 HP ISX engine. Not paying attention and completely filled the radiator with transmission fluid.

a few weeks ago I....

was tearing down a 360 PRO to put in new crank bearings. I was working on the saw outside in the sun as the weather was nice that day. I pulled the jug and and went to remove the piston, prying on the circlip and it popped right out of there and I heard it ring all the way into the grass. Even with a metal detector I couldn't find the dang thing! I know better than this-dummy! :dizzy:

Neighbor was weedeating (new Stihl FS85)for me ran out of mix. Asked where mix was told em in a jug in shed. Filled it pulled til the hammer almost came out. Did not have time to work on it sent it to Dealer. They dumped out the offroad diesel filled it w/mix. $15.00 labor 60 mi road trip.
Shep

Neighbor bought a brand new John Deere riding lawnmower several years ago....

Show me what you've done, said all the things and while standing next to it, takes right foot, depresses the clutch, throttle to wide open, choke pulled, crank, crank crank, nothing.

I walk behind the mower and says try her again as I rested my elbow on the seat back.

Crank, crank, vrooooooooooooooom.

I had a Cub Cadet 2072 tractor that I could not get to crank. I got nothing when I hit the key and ended up running a wire directly from the battery to the starter and it started right up. I took the tunnel cover off and found that the tang on the brake shaft that engaged the neutral start switch had broken off. Simple fix, but caused me to spend a couple of hours scratching my head.

I'm not even gonna tell you guys about the saw I ported a few days ago..........I got it all button up then noticed the rings still laying on the bench........ :bang:

Put a bike engine together and went to adjust the valves - 'what the heck?'

Then I noticed the pushrods sitting on the bench.

About 30 years ago I bought a 1976 Ford 4x4 that had ingested water. The truck came to me with the engine partially disassembled. I towed it to my mother's garage and started working on it, but it became a several month project as I had other things going on. I ended up tearing it down, new bearings, rings, etc. When the time came to install the last piston I bumped the starter to get the crank throw to the bottom where I could torque the rod bolts, but it would barely turn over. I knew it would never crank with the heads on it and after looking discovered I had installed a couple of the rods backwards.

Fast forward a few weeks and I redid the heads in the bed of the truck. Put the heads on and torqued them down and then came to the back of the truck to get a a tool. Looked down and saw a small pile of valve seals that I had failed to install. Wasted a bunch of time fixing that problem.

That reminds me of one my brother and I did when we were pretty young. We changed the tranny in an old Maverick and forgot to hook up the cooler lines. Pouring fluid in with the engine running and it would never get full..........there was a river of fluid running down the hill behind the car. :msp_sad:

Buddy called me to help get his PU started after doing some engine work. Tune up, etc. and when asked just what he had done, he added that he pulled the distributer to do something to it. Aked if he had the timing correct. "yes, it fires when #1 comes up". "Which time?". Yep, 180 out.

Harry K

was tearing down a 360 PRO to put in new crank bearings. I was working on the saw outside in the sun as the weather was nice that day. I pulled the jug and and went to remove the piston, prying on the circlip and it popped right out of there and I heard it ring all the way into the grass. Even with a metal detector I couldn't find the dang thing! I know better than this-dummy! :dizzy:

That's why it is called a 'Jesus clip"...as in "Jesus!, where'd it go?".

Harry K

I'm in the shop doing port work thinking about this thread...................

Jezzo Flip I better get muh head outta muh arse. :laugh:

Dude, don't worry about that.

A few years ago, I was taking apart my first XL-12.

I pulled the muffler cover plate, and then assumed the muffler should just fall off. But it didn't.

I tried prying.

Then hammering.

Then, I stopped playing around, and started seriously f:censored:king around. I broke out the angle grinder with a cutting wheel!

Well, low and behold, I was almost done cutting the muffler off, and I made the connection between the muffler cover bolts being very short, and the two long studs they threaded into being hexagonal, as in, they fit into a wrench. Oops...

Unscrewed them, the remained of the muffler fell of, and the threads on the cylinder were just dandy. At least I'm smart enough not to use cylinder fins as a prying surface... and it's good I didn't start cutting with gas!

So to answer your question, IMHO, you have quite a bit of practice before you top my muffler removal magic.

Ever put gas in the bar oil tank????? I told my son that is how you are supposed to flush the tank. ::thumbsup::

I accidentally poured slash fuel in a saw (3 parts diesel 1 part gas) Ran it for about 4-5 minutes-Yes the smoke gave it away I'd done something wrong. Didn't hurt the 046 saw I did it in luckly

ohh i suppose it's time for me to chime in,

one day whilst at work with my new 365 saw,i stopped to take a break and re-fuel it,took it back to my nissan patrol to refuel it,when i was done i went back to work and all went fine,had a good days work,went back to the nissan again when i was finished and put saw in the back and drove for home,then i started to get a little freaked out,i got a very bad smell of petrol,AHHHHH then i realised i had not put the cap back on my jerry can for my petrol and was just after filling it with fresh petrol (10liters) :clap::msp_rolleyes:

it had went all over the back of my nissan,ended up taken out all of the carpet from the rear at a super sonic speed and prayed i didn't meet somebody calling to me to talk with a ciggerette in there hands!!!!!! i was litterly driving a ticking time bomb!!

another time,i asked a friend of mine to send me a cylinder head for an old husky 61 chainsaw,this guy is out of work now and spends a lot of time drinking beer at home,so he doesn't be thinking right all the time,:dizzy: anyway..... i asked him to post me the cylinder kit cause he told me he had it,i hadn't spoke to him in years and bumped in to him the previous week in town,so after a few days and not GETTING my cylinder kit,i wondered what the hell was up cause he told me he had sent it 4days now ago!!! so i picked up the phone and rang him, he was laughing really hard and this is what he said---

"ohh yes,i was all excited today as i recieved a nice big package in the mail,guess what,i wrote my own address on the package 4 days ago and sent it off to myself :clap::msp_w00t:

i just said.......whaaa???? and broke down laughing...... :msp_biggrin:
ohh dear,i didn't believe it but yes he did it,his wife confirmed it too :)))

i think the only one to beat us two would be MR hommer simpson

Last edited:
I had to point that out to a tow truck driver trying to winch a nice car out of a steep berm with teh drive wheels dragging.

Harry K

Tow truck driver 101; they are taught to inflict as much extra damage as possible.

My '96 Dodge Stratus died on me one day . Fuel gauge read almost half full . Local mechanic came by and checked it out for me . " No fuel at the fuel rail " was his reply . So I ordered a new fuel pump/sending unit $$$$$$ . My daughters boyfriend helped me jack the car up and remove the gas tank . As he brought the tank out , he said " this tank's awfully light " . :censored:ing thing was out of gas . Never trust a fuel gauge . :bang:

Dumbest thing I ever did was install brake pads backwards on a ford pickup truck. That is, the pads were situated with the asbestos pad surface against the caliper and metal against the rotor. Took off and it made a terrible grinding sound when I stopped. My mind was elsewhere that day.

even better i put new callipers on the jimmy and got the left and right mixed up. the bleed screws were on the bottom instead of top. i spent almost 2 hours trying to figure out why the brakes would not bleed before figuring it out.

[video=youtube_share;G-tCIRJH9p0]http://youtu.be/G-tCIRJH9p0[/video]
lol, Ive done worse.....way worse, id say your doing alright.

I accidentally poured slash fuel in a saw (3 parts diesel 1 part gas) Ran it for about 4-5 minutes-Yes the smoke gave it away I'd done something wrong. Didn't hurt the 046 saw I did it in luckly

I had a buddy do that on the first tank through his brand new 361........He started labeling his jugs after that.

Latest posts

Back