Anybody enjoying sweat corn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corn

The only thing I wish I would have done different with my corn this year was grow more.

I had about 40 stalks and put up a bunch. It has been super tasty!!!

We did not plant any corn this year. But we have been buying some from the flea market. We elected not to freeze any just eat it as we buy. The last batch of local "silver queen" was very well filled out and very tasty. Hope to get some more this week. What happened to that rule "pics or it didn't happen?" :msp_ohmy:

Or does that just apply to the chainsaw thread? Anyhow, hope you enjoy your corn. :msp_tongue:

Unicorn

I swear this is real.

unicorn.jpg

You said you wanted pics!!!!!:eek:uttahere2:

di

Did a little taste testing tonight. Bought some white, yellow, and bicolor. All super sweet varieties. Was fully expecting yellow to be the best but the white was and it wasnt even close. Bicolor came in third according to my taste buds. This was all picked today from local farms.

We always freeze yellow though - mom and dad always swore it stores better than white.

di

Did a little taste testing tonight. Bought some white, yellow, and bicolor. All super sweet varieties. Was fully expecting yellow to be the best but the white was and it wasnt even close. Bicolor came in third according to my taste buds. This was all picked today from local farms.

We always freeze yellow though - mom and dad always swore it stores better than white.

Look for a yellow variety named honey select. You will love it. If you can find it at your friendly neighborhood farm stand.

Today we passed a guy who said he had super sweet. My wife shook her head, she said, "Nah, I don't like super sweet corn." Needless to say we did not buy any. We bought another dozed for the table from the same guy last week. Silver queen, and it looks great. We will be putting the pearly whites in it, all slathered in butter and salt tomorrow. :tongue:

Today we passed a guy who said he had super sweet. My wife shook her head, she said, "Nah, I don't like super sweet corn." Needless to say we did not buy any. We bought another dozed for the table from the same guy last week. Silver queen, and it looks great. We will be putting the pearly whites in it, all slathered in butter and salt tomorrow. :tongue:

Is salt needed on sweat corn? Isn't it already salty?

We did not plant any corn this year. But we have been buying some from the flea market. We elected not to freeze any just eat it as we buy. The last batch of local "silver queen" was very well filled out and very tasty. Hope to get some more this week. What happened to that rule "pics or it didn't happen?" :msp_ohmy:

Or does that just apply to the chainsaw thread? Anyhow, hope you enjoy your corn. :msp_tongue:

unfortunatley to many "less than honest" guys are passing off some of the newer varieties of white "sweat corn" for silver queen because that's the name people know.Silver Queen was good in it's day but the newer types are much better. As far as super sweets, they were designed for machine harvest/long distance shipping.the skin on the kernel of these is tougher/harder.these are the kinds you see in the grocery store off season. ask you local farm market if they grow SE or SY types as they are much sweeter and tender and if fresh picked will keep in the fridge 4-5 days. try to buy from a market that keeps the corn cold or at least in A/C after picking.

Peaches and cream is the hot ticket corn around Des Moines... Not sure what the real name is for it. Wife's parents dropped us 4doz ears last week and its about gone.

Glad some of ya are gathering in some sweet corn. Mine couldn't handle the storms this spring. But I got lots of Purple Hull Peas :clap:

Back