Anybody ever have firewood logs delivered?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friend of mine gets a truck load (about 6 bush cords) every year. Cost him around $600.00 CDN. He sells about 4 of it after he cuts and splits it. Basically he gets his wood for "free" and makes a few bucks in the process

$1450 Canadian for 16 cords here. Close to 50 face cords. Mixed maple red oak and a bit yellow birch. Got a load ordered.

I split the load with another guy and usually get coaxed into selling a bit. I can get 60 dollars a face cord. I burn 15 face cord and like to always have a year ahead.

I purchased a 10 cord load, IE a log truck load without the pup for $1000. The load was a mix of Sugar Maple, White/Red Oak, and Yellow Birch with nothing under 16" in diameter and most of it over 20".

Th load I got a few years ago had quite a bit of soft maple and heart rot. It also had a lot of twisty limb wood so it was not the same quality you got Ben. The loads with the big diameter wood are nice. Nother thing to look for is that it was not skidded in the mud. Sure makes a difference in whether you use 1 chain to cut a load or 3!

Tri-axle load of mixed hardwood, all 16-24 inch, good for 6-8 cord, goes for $450 here... They might be giving me a good price because I live a few miles from where they're logging and loading... They also might be giving me a lousy price because I'm a real pain about not getting any birch in there... I end up with lots of sugar maple and beech (love the beech)... I've never really shopped around for a better price 'cause this seems fair to me, but maybe I ought to to see what's out there...

Seems like there would be alot of lumber in 16-24 logs, ever think of running it threw a sawmill, instead of bucking firewood?

Too much like work

A buddy of mine had a truck load of alder delivered and I went over to help him cut it up. That much wood at one time is a lot of work. I'm lucky enough to have access to 55 acres of alder, maple, and fir so I can space my cutting out and do a little bit at a time. Between my mothers place and ours we probably go through 4 cord a year so a truck load would last a long time.
I just finished splitting a pickup load of alder that was down across the access road:)

We get the truckload It is about $150.00 per truck load has to be less the 20 inch across and 4 cords of wood.

kayakvt said:
They also might be giving me a lousy price because I'm a real pain about not getting any birch in there...

I got a pickup load of dry birch from a friend who had to clean up his yard, I didn't think it would be very good. Once I got past splitting it (miserable stringy crap) I found that it burned surprisingly well, very hot and clean with an interesting scent... I'd burn it again in small quantities..

DanManofStihl said:
We get the truckload It is about $150.00 per truck load has to be less the 20 inch across and 4 cords of wood.

Dan, I want some. Can you tell me where you got it? I'm in the Front Royal area.

We get them at work from a guy who does lot clearing his company is called Nance Grading and clearing. If you give him a call he will hook you up depending on how many loads you want. To get that price we bought 12 truckloads.

Nother thing to look for is that it was not skidded in the mud.
About half the load I got must have been dragged through a mud pit.
Th load I got a few years ago had quite a bit of soft maple and heart rot. It also had a lot of twisty limb wood so it was not the same quality you got Ben.
Most of the logs I got are pulp quality thats over the mills max size limit, or cull logs that are not suitable for saw logs. many of them are mostly clear with one section that is cat faced or has a limb posket. Some of them a re female dog to split, but thats what a 372 is for.

I got a pickup load of dry birch from a friend who had to clean up his yard, I didn't think it would be very good. Once I got past splitting it (miserable stringy crap) I found that it burned surprisingly well, very hot and clean with an interesting scent... I'd burn it again in small quantities..
if you can dry it out Paper Birch doesnt burn to bad. Yellow Birch ont he other hand is about as good as Red Oak when dry.

DanManofStihl said:
We get them at work from a guy who does lot clearing his company is called Nance Grading and clearing. If you give him a call he will hook you up depending on how many loads you want. To get that price we bought 12 truckloads.

Got a number? Or location? I've tried several online yellow pages and struck out.

Recently got a load from a company in Pomfret, Conn. Called Great Woods.And Great wood it is,8'' to 16'' diameter log length ,Mostly oak,Red and white,With just a stick or two of birch or maple,Beautiful stuff,really straight,Grappled of the truck in my yard for 600 Cash,approx 8 to 10 cord,Ive got almost 4 cord cut and split,only two thirds of the way through the pile.

Back