Anybody ever see this in your firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Blueish green in color
coppercenter.JPG

i might have guessed from some metal that was in the tree once, but it running lengthwise like that has got me wondering

Well, It sure looks like ash too me. As far as the green, I'd imagine it's some fungal disease effecting the heartwood. Hmmm? "Emerald" ash borers? :cheers:

Last edited:
A few years ago a guy brought in a red oak, about 4' dia, 9' long. Too big for my mill, but it had a check that went right across the butt. 4 wedges, 5 minutes, that log split in half with almost no run-out. It had that same green stain, right up through where it spllit. No metal in it, so I'd have to say mineral stain? The chunk above in the pic. sure looks like ash to me.

Last edited:
If that sprig came off of the same tree as that firewood I could be wrong. But I never actually said that the wood was oak I simply said the blue/green stain is common in oak. :monkey: Ok maybe I did say that it was oak in my 2nd post. My dendrology prof would be sooo dissappointed.:cry:

It's a fungus. I also often find it in red oak. But I'm NOT saying that your wood is oak.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The crosscut looks as if it could be red oak IF the light band weren't there. Bark could go either way. The split is not typical of how red oak looks either. Definately looks more like ash. The leaves confirm. Some type of ash, my guess is Black Ash. Too straight-grained for hickory.

I've encountered virtually every color of the rainbow when splitting. Pretty sure its a fungus. Maybe the beginning of heart rot, which is very common among mature ash trees?

The crosscut looks as if it could be red oak IF the light band weren't there. Bark could go either way. The split is not typical of how red oak looks either. Definately looks more like ash. The leaves confirm. Some type of ash, my guess is Black Ash. Too straight-grained for hickory.

Absolutely NOT Hickory! Wrong bark... wrong leaves... wrong grain.

I could put a Hickory and an Ash branch and trunk next to each other in a picture that far away and you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.
The wood grain I don't know as I usually don't get any that are worth a damn or of any size in residential neighborhoods.
I do remember a few years ago seeing a hickory with a ring around the bottom of the trunk with a green line almost like a water mark 5-6" up that was bright green like that with a white edge. Never did figure out exactly what it was from.

Back