Anybody got tennitus?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently noticed a cricket sound in my ears and asked people around me if they hear crickets and they all say no. I started reading up on this and found a large population of people have this and it can be caused by high decibel noises such as a chainsaw. I rebuild a lot of chainsaws and run them nearly every day and seldom use ear protection so I think I know where mine came from (there are other causes as well). I thought I'd just offer some of you muffler modders, like me a little advice that you might want to think it through about the mods and about hearing protection.

10 years of weed cutting with 5 using a Husqvarna 235 with muffler mod on a 225 shaft that sucker is loud, I forgot a afew times to wear ear protection a was hearing a ringing sounds for days. Also at another job I was hitting concrete forms and instantly lost hearing in my right ear when the plug fell out as I hit a form, I didn't even notice it had came out until I stopped. Its pretty scary feeling when can't hear out of one ear for two days.

My ears are ringing now from running my saws all afternoon and like a dum dum I have a box full of 80 pair of plugs and didn't even bother with putting any in. One thing that sucks worse is being at a firing range and shooting part of the day without ear protection

Good advice, makes it hard to tune though. when I cut, the muffs on the husky helmet, but I have to leave them off to start and tune.

I've had this for a few weeks now and don't know if it will go away or not. Next trip to doctor's office I'll tell him and see if he offers anything. I guess a guy could tune a saw with the muffs off but I'd put them on for cutting. I have a couple of pairs also but they don't get used enough. I do think I may have modded my last muffler though, not worth it.

The ringing in my ears start a little over a year ago, and so far I haven't had any relief whatsoever. My ent doctor didn't find anything, and the audiologist found no hearing loss. At this point little can be done. Stress, loud noises, and even certain foods make it worse. Having bad tinnitus is nothing to laugh at!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I may have to buy a new muffler for my 525LS. I did a really aggressive muffl mod and it is really loud. I did were ear muffs when using it but still. I need to wear it all the time but I don't always wear ear pro when using my 125B. Need to make myself.

yes! between chainsaw's, loud music, big block engines, farm machinery and my military time doing explosives has taken a toll on my hearing as well. long term low ringing in the ear's, makes it hard to carry on a conversation with others in a close setting or room filled with more than 3 people speaking at the same time! when asked a question at times and in a bad hearing situation makes for a hard time to give an answer ! often have given a wrong answer to a question with no pertinents to the question! ?? "do I answer the question or just ignore the situation like I didn't know it was addressed at me" ?? makes for a hard time!! PLEASE !! TAKE CARE OF YOUR EAR'S!!

I have severe tinnitus. I'm sure mine originated from mowing and trimming lawns from 13-18. At one time we did 21 residential lawns and probably 10 commercial lawns.

Then when I was 40, I got Meniers Disease. I've lost almost all hearing in my left ear and it was replaced with super loud tinnitus. I've grown used to it, but to give someone else my hearing would probably drive them insane. It's LOUD!

Every month the VA sends me a check. Hearing damage from small arms and artillery.
! NOT AS A JOKE! but I cant hear a thing you just said!! ( thanks!! for your service sir! )....... it's good to have eye's with great hearing just like my finger's are able to speak!

I've recently noticed a cricket sound in my ears and asked people around me if they hear crickets and they all say no. I started reading up on this and found a large population of people have this and it can be caused by high decibel noises such as a chainsaw. I rebuild a lot of chainsaws and run them nearly every day and seldom use ear protection so I think I know where mine came from (there are other causes as well). I thought I'd just offer some of you muffler modders, like me a little advice that you might want to think it through about the mods and about hearing protection.

Mine came from a motorcycle accident, still have it.

Others damage their hearing from noise. I worked a while in a lumber mill that was louder than any saw I've seen 8-10 hours a day. I wore both the foam inserts and the ear muffin protection.

There was another worker who refused to wear hearing protection, he had been there a few years and acquired the nickname "Zombie". Zombie could not be talked with, unless you nearly yelled. Friends said this was not the case years before.

Back