Anybody have any experience w/ Stihl MS390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1234

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been offered a New Stihl MS390 for a reasonable price.
Anybody have any experience with it?
Thanks Andy1234

The 3 bears

Andy

Welcome to the site!

No insult intended with an over simplifacation, the 390 is the poppa bear of the 310 and 290 class of saws, all very well bulit mid range saws to sort of take the rancher / farmer / firewood cutter market.

I have an MS-310 and couldent be happier with it!

Unless you have ran some of the Pro saws, there is not much chance that it will let you down,,,,,,,,, buy it, give it a muffler mod,,, (just do a search on this site) and you have a very good performer for many years,,,,, on the cheap!

Kevin

ShoerFast said:
Andy

Welcome to the site!

No insult intended with an over simplifacation, the 390 is the poppa bear of the 310 and 290 class of saws, all very well bulit mid range saws to sort of take the rancher / farmer / firewood cutter market.

I have an MS-310 and couldent be happier with it!

Unless you have ran some of the Pro saws, there is not much chance that it will let you down,,,,,,,,, buy it, give it a muffler mod,,, (just do a search on this site) and you have a very good performer for many years,,,,, on the cheap!

Kevin

Good post. I had a 310 as well, and as I've always said, in their intended niches, it's a fine series of saw.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

What the above posts actually say, is that the 290, 310 and 390 are POS compared to the pro saws, but capable of cutting wood if heavy weight for the power and excessive vibration doesn't bother you.
:blob2: :laugh: :laugh:

It all depends on your specific "deal".

MS390 weighs 13 lbs and only produces 4.3 HP and normally costs about $500. I would never consider buying this saw new since it represents an overall bad value proposition.

If I wanted to lug around a saw in the 13 lb range, I'd pick one with much higher power like the 372XP, MS440 or 7900.

If all I needed was around 4 HP then I'd go for lower weight like the 5100 or MS361.

I've got a 390 and used (and liked) it a lot until I got the 360 & 361.

Real good power. Mine is a couple of years old and didn't come with the decomp. valve which would have been nice as it does have a decent amount of compression. Overall, very good saw.

That said, if you've got about another $75 to spend, I'd opt for a 361. More than worth the difference in price. I've recently seen some new 361's go on Ebay for around $580-575 (including shipping). You've gotta be patient to get a good deal there tho, as I seen some go for almost retail or more.

Dave

I like mine, but it is a heavy pig. MS440 and 460 have a better power to weight ratio, but you ahev a good deal and you don't want to spend $700-800 right?

I never owned a 039/390, but I did have an 029 for seven years and it was a fine firewood saw for me, the weekend warrior type. That saw never gave me ANY trouble. When I found this site I opened up the muffler and retuned the saw. To my amazement the saw really came alive.
Take care of it and it will serve you well.

Back