Anybody in Central WI interested in 42 cords of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what type of wood it is though,

"42 cords of firewood in 8' pulp length. 80% is oak and 20% is pine or other. Cut out of North Wood County park as dead and down wood."

Bid currently at $1805.00.

43.jpg

46.jpg

Last edited:
firewood bonanza

AYE CARAMBA LUCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LUCY!!!!, Find me 3 88-foot TTX flat bed rail cars with stake pockets
with the ability to secure the loads with steel uprights/stakes.

Rail freight is about 80ish$ a net ton plus the fuel surcharge.

The problem is finding the rolling stock.

8' by 12 by 176 is about 9,216 cubic feet times .80 to
account for airspace times 44lbs per cubic foot is about
372 tons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This would be 17 22-ton truck loads versus 2 88-foot flat cars of logs.

Lucy!!!!, Call the railroad and order the cars quickly!!!,
This lumber is better for the lumber mill and the
finger jointers as well as making hardwood wainscoating stiles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leon, your math is off a bit. 42 cords could likely be squeezed onto 4 log trucks. Common loads of firewood delivered in pulp (100") length are 10 cord.

I'm betting it goes for $2000-2500. Full retail, at least in my corner of the state, is about $100/cord, you can do better by shopping around.

Lots of wastage there. If I were bidding on that I would want to cut into some of those logs to check for rot.

Easy in 4 loads

Leon, your math is off a bit. 42 cords could likely be squeezed onto 4 log trucks. Common loads of firewood delivered in pulp (100") length are 10 cord.

I'm betting it goes for $2000-2500. Full retail, at least in my corner of the state, is about $100/cord, you can do better by shopping around.

3 if you haul it at night . 14 cords of dry pulp is no problem , lotsa oak so better to take it in 4 trips legally .

Wisconsin auction

Whoever bites on this auction should be aware that there is also an added auction service charge. I think the last time
I "won" an auction on some saws through this auction service I believe there was a fifteen or twenty per cent surcharge. Thats what I got for not reading through the terms of a state auction service and assuming it was handled like other auctions in the area. -ken

Yeah, I noticed the buyer's premium is VERY hefty. I didn't dig it up again, but it's on a scale, from 20% on less than $100, to somewhere around 10% for over $100,000.

Anyone buying at auction anywhere needs to watch out for buyer premiums and adjust their bids accordingly, they keep getting more popular. I blame the Speed channel and Barrett-Jackson for this phenomenon.

going going gone

That is the final price. It works out to about $65.00 a full cord. Keep in mind that the buyer has to arrange transportation and they are given a relatively short span of time to get that wood out. Here in Central Wisconsin a ten cord load of oak logs, delivered locally, runs on average from $85 to $100 per cord, cash on delivery. There has been a lot of summer storm damage in the area and I've seen it go for $60 a cord, which I do not quite understand, because there is a limited market to sell to the paper mills in the immediate area if you have a contract with the mills.

So, not a screaming deal, but if they have an economical way to transport, an average deal. Personally I think whoever "won" that auction could of gotten a simular or better deal if they would of shopped around to some of the reputable loggers in the area, and not had to worry about the logistics. -ken

Latest posts

Back