Anybody know if cutting trees on state land can be legal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any information specifically for the state of CT would be helpful but in general also.Ive often wondered if there was some way to get a permit and make life easier because sometimes it gets down to the wire gathering wood.Thanks.

You need to apply for the permit lottery next winter:

DEP: State Lands Firewood Program

If you win a spot in the lottery, you'll get a two cord permit for a specific lot (the foresters will mark the trees to be cut on the permit), and you'll be given a time slot several weeks long in late spring or during the summer -- i.e. after mud season -- during which you may cut.

Man I wish I knew about that 4 years ago when I got this house.Thanks for the info!Now all I have to do is sign up 50 people I know so I have a chance at getting some next time around.

Will finish my CT permit today

Don't know what area of CT you'll apply to, but the permits are issued by lottery for a particular area. As I understand it, the permits for the central and southern CT regions are very hard to get due to supply and demand.

Although you'll have to deal with the heat, get an early permit if offered. These usually allow you to get at the easiest access wood. Even though it's only 2 cord, a lot of time can be wasted hauling to the truck or dealing with the ugly chunks left behind.

Take Care

Do you have any national forests over there? Might be able to cut more wood without the lottery hassle.

Will finish my CT permit today

Don't know what area of CT you'll apply to, but the permits are issued by lottery for a particular area. As I understand it, the permits for the central and southern CT regions are very hard to get due to supply and demand.

Although you'll have to deal with the heat, get an early permit if offered. These usually allow you to get at the easiest access wood. Even though it's only 2 cord, a lot of time can be wasted hauling to the truck or dealing with the ugly chunks left behind.

Take Care

I would be looking at A and H areas.I don't have much luck with lottery's so I'm not going to count my chickens.

Do you have any national forests over there? Might be able to cut more wood without the lottery hassle.

That's a good question.I have no clue but will check every avenue.

The things you learn on this site! I had no idea there was such a difference in public (state/federal) lands between the western half and eastern half of the country.

Here in Kansas we got little public land, so do what i did, marry a farm girl whoose daddy has land. Okay wasnt my intention in the begining, had more to do with quail hunting actually, but its worked out well, best 30 years of my life! No permit required. Dang fine girl also.

Latest posts

Back