anybody sell firewood on the side? i'm talkin small timers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally get the front steps cleaned off and its snowing again :(

attachment.php

Firewood consideration

Here's something to consider about firewood and it's measurement.

First of all a cord is only a cord when the dimensions are 4 x4x8 and the pieces are 4'long.

Here's the complicated part, so bear with me.

Most can agree that a cord is also 4 rows of twelve inch wood 8' long, or 3 rows of 16" wood 8' long, but it isn't, because those exact lengths will occupy quite a bit more than 128 cubic feet.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if a truck is 128 cubic, it's humanely impossible to stack 3 rows of 16" wood within a 128cf space. It might if the wood was 14.5 to 15" long.

So, when is a cord a cord, except when it's 4x4x8, only when the pieces are 4'long?

Gypo

Case in Point

When I was in the commercial end of FW, I would deliver 3 cords in an F600 which occupied 540 cubic feet based on a loose thrown 16" cord being 180 cubic ft. which is accurate to within 5% + or -

Anyway once a customer called back and say he was shorted.
I'd say to him first that if it was short I'd give him his money back, but if he wasn't he'd have to pay me an extra 100.

So out came the tape measure and sure enough he had 3 cords plus or 390 or so cubic feet.
His mistake was in expecting X number of rows of 16" when the wood was cut heavy to 17"+. BTW, I never charged him the extra 100.

My point is, it's not the # of rows you get, but the cubic footage it occupies.
Gypo

Last edited:

First of all a cord is only a cord when the dimensions are 4 x4x8 and the pieces are 4'long.

Most can agree that a cord is also 4 rows of twelve inch wood 8' long, or 3 rows of 16" wood 8' long, but it isn't, because those exact lengths will occupy quite a bit more than 128 cubic feet.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but if a truck is 128 cubic, it's humanely impossible to stack 3 rows of 16" wood within a 128cf space. It might if the wood was 14.5 to 15" long.

So, when is a cord a cord, except when it's 4x4x8, only when the pieces are 4'long?

Gypo

Gypo, thanks for making it more difficult! :cheers:

What's more, the hairbrained state across the St Croix River from me makes it more convoluted yet:

2009 Minnesota Statutes
Resources
Topics

* Weights and Measures
* Wood and Wood Products

239.33 STANDARD MEASUREMENTS OF WOOD.

In all contracts for sale of wood the term "cord" shall mean 128 cubic feet of wood, bark, and air, if cut in four-foot lengths; and if the sale is of "sawed wood," a cord shall mean 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown irregularly or loosely into a conveyance for delivery to the purchaser; and if the sale is of "sawed and split wood," a cord shall mean 120 cubic feet, when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown irregularly and loosely into a conveyance for delivery. If a measurement is made by weight, the term "cord" or any other term used to describe freshly cut wood shall be based on 79 cubic feet of solid wood content per cord. The weight per cord may vary by species or species group. In case of any dispute when the parties have not otherwise agreed in writing to the weight per cord by species or species group, the weight most recently established by the commissioner of natural resources prevails.

From https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=239.33

Anyone else confused yet?

While math is not my strong suit, im seeing some problems here. Okay lets see here 4x4x8 is 128CF no doubt about that. If you go 3 rows of 16 inch peice it comes out to 48 inchs 48in/12in=4ft. I see no problem with 3 rows of 16? Im i missing something here?

Gypo

yeah.. I surrender. I'll take my cords to be a tightly stacked shackle of firewood that measures 4x4x8 or occupies 128 cubic feet in any other fashion. With 5-10 cubic feet thrown in for good measure. I don't think another cord will go in my truck this season. Next chance though: photos pre-load;loaded; unloaded and stacked. with some sort of sticky wicket for scale. That's how it'll be here. regards.

While math is not my strong suit, im seeing some problems here. Okay lets see here 4x4x8 is 128CF no doubt about that. If you go 3 rows of 16 inch peice it comes out to 48 inchs 48in/12in=4ft. I see no problem with 3 rows of 16? Im i missing something here?
tnxm, what your missing, is that there is not a machine or man that can cut perfectly square 16" wood, then stack 3 rows of it and expect it will be 48", even stacking with a sledge it will be at least 10% more volume.
Gypo

Gypo, thanks for making it more difficult! :cheers:

What's more, the hairbrained state across the St Croix River from me makes it more convoluted yet:

From https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=239.33

Anyone else confused yet?
I hear ya Steve. Lol
What the state says is right on except for a few things I didn't get.
The fastest and most accurate way to sell wood is by bin volume loose thrown based on 180 cubic feet for 16" wood.
Who ever has a cord trailer would be much smarter to make it a 180 cubic box. Just think how much time it would save them, pluse they wouldn't have to second guess themselves.
Gypo

I said "we got and are getting" bout a foot and a half mr. persnikity :)

I think we had four down, we got 10 last night and today (I am in N. suburbs) and we expect to get maybe 3 over night. That adds up to close to a foot and a half in my book.

Here is a current look out the back door....

attachment.php

Might check in one of those holes for your cat.

tnxm, what your missing, is that there is not a machine or man that can cut perfectly square 16" wood, then stack 3 rows of it and expect it will be 48", even stacking with a sledge it will be at least 10% more volume.
Gypo

No I agree 100%, you just lost Here

"but if a truck is 128 cubic, it's humanely impossible to stack 3 rows of 16" wood within a 128cf space. It might if the wood was 14.5 to 15" long."

Im in no way shape or form trying to argue with you, i just dont understand. Im in college for Criminolgy and Prelaw havent had a math course in 5 years

yeah.. I surrender. I'll take my cords to be a tightly stacked shackle of firewood that measures 4x4x8 or occupies 128 cubic feet in any other fashion. With 5-10 cubic feet thrown in for good measure. I don't think another cord will go in my truck this season. Next chance though: photos pre-load;loaded; unloaded and stacked. with some sort of sticky wicket for scale. That's how it'll be here. regards.

hahahah...sticky wicket....:laugh:

No I agree 100%, you just lost Here

"but if a truck is 128 cubic, it's humanely impossible to stack 3 rows of 16" wood within a 128cf space. It might if the wood was 14.5 to 15" long."

Im in no way shape or form trying to argue with you, i just dont understand. Im in college for Criminolgy and Prelaw havent had a math course in 5 years

all the objections are based on degree of air space which will exist to some degree on every 128 cubic foot of stacking no matter what. If you have a gallon filled with sand do you have a gallon of sand? Lot of air space in there.
(but then the def of sand includes air space doesn't it?)

Last edited:
all the objections are based on degree of air space which will exist to some degree on every 128 cubic foot of stacking no matter what. If you have a gallon filled with sand do you have a gallon of sand? Lot of air space in there.
(but then the def of sand includes air space doesn't it?)

exactly exactly exactly mate.. what's a bushel? And how's about the space between my ears? We don't conduct commerce in a black hole (yet). " hey, what's all this anti-matter doing in my matter? I aint paying for that"

Last edited:
I posted this pic, and others in another thread of our recent snow....I finally get a call from a tree service yesterday, who I called a week ago (??) about firewood, $190 for a dump truck load, said it was approx 1 1/4 cords....I have access to some big truckloads from a newarby logging site, but that won't happen until late spring, i'll save my $$ for that.

I can do it
2010firewood.jpg

That's a nice pile, can you deliver some here? I want 3 rows 4' high of 16" wood 8' long of good seasoned hardwood, split, and piled or somebodies gonna get there azz kicked. And it better be 128 cubic feet, with no bugs and no mold! And I want it yesterday you woodtick! Lol
Gypo

And it better look like it does in your picture, or I'm gonna lose it!
BTW, it better not be more than 200/cord. I don't care how many times you had to play with it! Lol
Gypo

Latest posts

Back