Anybody sharpen their wedges???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earache

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seriously! The plastic ones. I am REALLY hard on wedges. Obviously, they will shorten, but that's ok. Wedges aren't cheap enough to throw away.

Everybody is hard on wedges. That's what they're for. Sharpen them with a wood rasp, a horseshoer's file, or cut new angles with a band saw.
If they're cracked or big pieces of the head are missing, throw them away.

Gologit, thanks for the bandsaw idea. Hadn't thought of that. Precisely why I posted such a seemingly ignorant question. To warrant legitimate responses. Iron sharpens iron...

I am irritated
I raised the colors, primed the cannon, checked the edge on the cutlass, cranked the rudder to starboard, going in through a cloud of smoke and hot iron.

Gologit, thanks for the bandsaw idea. Hadn't thought of that. Precisely why I posted such a seemingly ignorant question. To warrant legitimate responses. Iron sharpens iron...

I've actually hit them with a belt sander, bench grinder, and a crosscut saw too. A good coarse grit can give you decent shape.

Randy, hit the throttle and bring it in!

Last edited:
Uh...yeah? Uh...yeah???!!! C'mon, I know you've been ill but...damn. :msp_wink:

Bob this is about as witty as I get, especially recovering from the flu. Plus my truck has been in the body shop for over a week. I got it back yesterday and promptly blew the steering box. My driveway looks like the Exxon Valdez has been parked there. I haven't even picked up a chainsaw in 3 weeks. Woe is me.

I'll make a comeback in a few days. Right now I'm at my own pity party. Fortunately I'm serving steaks and Buffalo Trace.

Bob this is about as witty as I get, especially recovering from the flu. Plus my truck has been in the body shop for over a week. I got it back yesterday and promptly blew the steering box. My driveway looks like the Exxon Valdez has been parked there. I haven't even picked up a chainsaw in 3 weeks. Woe is me.

I'll make a comeback in a few days. Right now I'm at my own pity party. Fortunately I'm serving steaks and Buffalo Trace.

Steaks? Buffalo Trace? See, it ain't all bad.

i dont sharpen mine. well at i never thought about doing it. i just beat them till they die. seems to me every time i use one the saw gets all jealous and takes a bite out of at least one or two. anybody ever try to make some out of wood? i think that would be a good idea.

I've made quite a few out of wood. You can really customize them for taper and size. Oak works well but my favorite is almond. You might have some hardwood back there that would work better. Cut rough blocks with your saw and shape them with a bandsaw and a rasp.

And, if you snag one with the saw you just add it to the firewood pile.

Last edited:
I've made quite a few out of wood. You can really customize them for taper and size. Oak works well but my favorite is almond. You might have some hardwood back there that would work better. Cut rough blocks with your saw and shape them with a bandsaw and a rasp.

And, if you snag one with the saw you just add it to the firewood pile.

good to know. i was just thinking of going to lowe's or something and getting some 4x4 or 6x6 posts to hack up with a band saw. i do have a never ending supply of natural hardwoods here in OK. so ill give that a go. would sure be cheaper that buying wedges all the time.

Mostly all I ever have used

i dont sharpen mine. well at i never thought about doing it. i just beat them till they die. seems to me every time i use one the saw gets all jealous and takes a bite out of at least one or two. anybody ever try to make some out of wood? i think that would be a good idea.

Never even owned a plastic wedge yet, I just cut hardwood wedges and smack em in hard. Now in a pinch I have used old axe heads and maul heads and been REAL careful cutting once they are in there.

I was thinking of cutting/grinding the edge off of some of them, then epoxying on something else a couple inches deep, proly just some wood, but haven't done it yet.

Oh, the wooden wedges don't last long either, but I have made them work numerous times. If it looks like I might need some, I'll cut a dozen or more right on the spot from something else, and just keep smacking them in all through the cut.

Goofy thought I had once (ya, I have lots of those). Ever see those "jaws of life" tools the firemen and emts use? Like a chainsaw motor that drives two jaws open, used to mash open like wrecked cars and stuff. That might be an interesting tool to tryout as well, staying within design specs. Well, maybe not for felling, but perhaps for a quick de-pincher to get the saw out.

I know they make specialty jacks for felling, but never tried one, they are spendy for me. I do use my truck jack to pick up logs to put wood under them for bucking though, do that a lot.

Mostly I am lucky around here, it usually doesn't matter which way a tree falls, so I just work with the lean and take advantage of the wind. I'll hold off a big (for me) drop until conditions are ideal sometimes. I'm not working under contract or by the hour or anything like that, so I can take all the time I want to do wood, from felling it to whatever else I do with it.

I have BIG MAMBO RESPECT for heavy weights moving.

There was a chainsaw powered falling wedge made but I can't remember the name of the thing. It was Stihl or Husqvarna or maybe Russian. I've never seen one in real life, just on youtube.

Well, that's cool!

There was a chainsaw powered falling wedge made but I can't remember the name of the thing. It was Stihl or Husqvarna or maybe Russian. I've never seen one in real life, just on youtube.

My google-fu is failing me now, can't find a video of that thing.

At least I don't feel all that goofy, someone else thought it might work so they built one.

A hand pump hydraulic one would work as well and proly be a lot cheaper. I've got some bottle jacks here are twenty tons rated, so something like that size but with expanding jaws....

But, I'd like to see that vid if you can find it again! thanks in advance!

The Nordfeller by Husky.

[video=youtube;7AGLFLvima4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGLFLvima4[/video]

There you go! It took someone smarter than me to find a vid on the wedge. However that is not the vid I had seen before, wrong music. There must be more good vids out there on this device.

Latest posts

Back