Anybody tried this axe yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't tried either of the mauls pictured her but I do have the Fiskars version. It's a great piece of gear but I agree about the handle being a bit short. Damn, now I gotta go buy these other ones too. I got CAD because I found this site, now I may be getting "MAD" as well...:clap:

Fiberglass handle no breakie (famous last words) Bad part about this axe is that there's no going to lowes for a replacement handle off the cuff. They have a built in overstrike plate on the Vario, but I'd rather have the stronger handle. I might call and see if I can put an overstrike plate on the Tomahawk too for double protection.

Ian

If I was rolling in the dough, I'd order both to compare. That's a good idea to see if you can use that plate.

Let me know what you think! Or make a video. ;)

It set me back $70 and for that price it dang well better be forged. LOL The head is 2.3Kg or just over 5lbs. Got it from www.hartvilletool.com Have a gander here... http://www.world-of-axes.com/tomahawk_e.php

Ian

Hartville tool isn't too far from me.....I got a buddy that bought a stihl m310 there. Never been there personally. That maul looks pretty good, hope it works out well.

As for the original post, I have one of those mauls (found it in the woods). If you wanna give it a try, let me know. I never use it, but have a buddy that splits all of his wood with one and swears by it.

just scored a Stihl PA-50 splitting axe. made in germany... marked: Ochsenkopf Spalt-Fix

PA50_ax.jpg

Last edited:
I agree.

One bad thing about it is that the design of the head makes it get stuck into tougher stuff. You end up using more energy removing the maul from the round then you do swinging.

I use that energy beating the maul through with a sledge, and I don't have loose handles.

Mike

Well, thanks to Ian it looks like I am going to Hartville friday! I am just finishing up the cleanup on a White Ash I removed for a customer so I will have about 4.5 to 5 cords to split and I am totally impressed by the axe designs by Helko. Thanks for sharing the info Ian!-Kevin

Will do Ian. I am looking in their tool catalog now and it looks like the overstrike protector will fit on the Tomahawk handle. I am going for the Heavy Splitting Axe Vario and maybe the light splitting axe head to go with it. Like the 36" handle but not the 30".-Kevin

Well the Helko is here, and I just got in from splitting some 12"ish diameter Red Oak. The balance is totally different from any other maul. In a regular maul, the weight is divided on both sides of the handle. On this one it's all forward of the handle. Takes a bit to get used to and doesn't feel right in the hand at first. As far as the splitting, it works, but it isn't magic. It doesn't work any better than my standard 6lb Lowes maul. My opinion... save your cash.

Ian

Like the 36" handle but not the 30"

I didn't catch that difference when I ordered it. It is a bit on the short side. I wonder why they shortened the length on the fiberglass version?

Last edited:
Ian, Got the wood handled heavy duty splitting axe but didn't get a chance to try it yet. Will tomorrow; this will be my first full foray into wood handled splitting tools again but with my penchant for getting mauls stuck in wood I still bought the Ames with the goofy fiberglass handle so I can strike the back of it with a sledge for the tough pieces. Anyhow the fella at the store and I tried putting the overstrike plate on the tomahawk and it fit a little snug. The FG handle is a little different than the wooden one and was not really designed to accomodate the plate and he felt it was not needed anyhow. It did fit though. Sorry to hear you are not that impressed with the Tomahawk.

Thanks for test fitting it for me. I "tested" hitting the handle on the oak I was splitting and it didn't even leave a mark. I agree with the sales person. Doesn't need it. Good luck tomorrow, maybe you will be able to get more speed out of it with the longer handle. I looked at the parts to replace mine with the longer handle and it adds up to about $50 before shipping. Not going to happen.

Ian

At least not until you break the FG handle!:dizzy:

If only we could be picky and split nice simple rounds and leave the nasty pieces. The Ash I have been splitting is either flying apart or it made the maul bounce. I have two wedges that my dad used, a wide one and a narrow one that I always use to start the big ugly pieces.

Well the Helko is here, and I just got in from splitting some 12"ish diameter Red Oak. The balance is totally different from any other maul. In a regular maul, the weight is divided on both sides of the handle. On this one it's all forward of the handle. Takes a bit to get used to and doesn't feel right in the hand at first. As far as the splitting, it works, but it isn't magic. It doesn't work any better than my standard 6lb Lowes maul. My opinion... save your cash.

Ian

I didn't catch that difference when I ordered it. It is a bit on the short side. I wonder why they shortened the length on the fiberglass version?

Is the head forged steel?

I have found that if its 8 inches or less practically anything will work. For these I skip the maul and just use the hand chop. Much quicker.

For bigger stuff (1-2 feet diameter) I think the 6 or 8 lb maul that is curved works best. Not curved like an oversized axe. Rather one that increases in thickness fairly quickly as you go away from the edge and then tends to uniform thickness near the handle.

It seems to get stuck less and deliver more blunt force trauma to the round I am splitting.

Similar to this 6 lb with the wood handle. Click on the maul to getter a better view of the head.

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/83-519-mauls/splitting-maul-217604.aspx

I've seen ones similar at Lowes and HD with fiberglass handles. Definitley my recommendation.

Ian, there's one thing you haven't tested yet... Longevity. That thing might last a coons age?

Only time will tell.

Maybe you can pass it around like the leveraxe... Then someone will just have it for keepsies. :monkey:

Back