Anybody using the Hitch Hiker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carburetorless

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I want something simple, to use with my Frog Walker setup, that I can ascend and descend on.

The Hitch Hiker looks like the simplest thing out there. I'm wondering how easily it is to descend on, best hitch to use with it and such. Any tips on using it?

Thanks

I climb at least once a week, the hitch hiker made sense for me with the price, compactness, robustness and maintenance needed. My first climb I thought I wasted my money, took another climb or two to get it dialed in, now it's my go to set up. Never found a need to use it DdRT. 3:1 haul back is great, even can use it as a bit of work positioning when anchored off the climb line. Short ascents doing the sit/stand with a foot ascender becomes easier with a bit of time. I run my HH stock, have no problems with it. Instead of the 6 turns per HH instructions I use 5, but run the top leg of the prusik under the lower leg, seems to keep it from unraveling on me. One issue is it might take the HH to be loaded up a few times and the prusik stopper knot needs to be re tightened to keep it responsive. Ascents are smooth and very little sit back. IMHO it works great with a rope dedicated to it, some ropes flatten out, doesn't affect performance, just feels strange, I upgraded from samson arbormaster to the vortex, big difference with the better rope.

just my 5 cents, since we got rid of the penny up here.

I'm thinking the HH is a lot like DdRT on descents, because there are actually two friction devices there, the HH it's self and the climbing hitch.

That Vortex to me seems to be a very thick rope, maybe fluffy is a better word. I like lava, because it has a 3 strand core that keeps it round, and it runs through gear very smoothly. My Poison Ivy is a little on the flat side, but still a good rope. Anyway, as long as the HH advances easily with my Frog Walker, descends smoothly, and is reliable, I'm sold on it. I was looking at the Spider Jack, but not sure I can justify the price without actually trying one out.

Missed the descent question, yes, descends very smooth, consistent, save for some sap, and adjustable, go fast or slow.

I just got a HH and only have maybe an hour on it. It's really not a knot. Its six wraps. You adjust it by tightening the stopper knot on the dogbone.
I did a lot of reading on different sites to decide between the HH and rope wrench. The HH won because of the fact it can be snugged up tighter on a spar. I wish I could offer more advice. Raj does know quite a bit about it though.

It's really not a knot. Its six wraps. You adjust it by tightening the stopper knot on the dogbone.
4ce7.jpg

How do you adjust? And can you use different hitches with it?
I've tried quite a few hitches, cords and variations but I keep going back to the 6 wraps. It works well and is compact. The biggest difference you'll notice is finding the right rope/hitch cord combo. The hh seems pretty sensitive to that and a binding hitch and tough slack tending are common complaints. The wesspur tether and new epicord were a game changer for me and solved all that.

The 9.3mm is great. It's actually about the same diameter as the beeline, maybe even a little bit more supple if that's the right word
image.jpg

The 9.3mm is great. It's actually about the same diameter as the beeline, maybe even a little bit more supple if that's the right word
View attachment 421363

It reminds me of Vortex. What's the melting temp on it?

I got the HH btw. I've only had time to do one climb on it, about 35 feet. It worked very well. I didn't have it tethered very well and it would hang up a little once in a while, because I had the bungee in the way. It descends very well. I was a bit cautious at first when descending(I left my lanyard attached for the first 10 ft) , but after a couple of stop and goes I have complete confidence in it.

I got rid of the hand ascender and used the Croll as a knee ascender with the bungee going through my center D to my chest D, I need a shorter bungee from the center D to the Croll. I had the CMI foot ascender on the right foot. That works real nice. The only problem I'm having now is staying upright. It's not too difficult, but it could be better. I made a chest harness out of 1 inch loop runner twisted into an 8 clipped together at the chest with a biner, it wanted to ride up under my chin, so I unhooked that deal. I'm going to try clipping a biner into my shoulder D and clipping it onto the rope, and see how that works. Maybe tighten up the leg straps a bit too.

It's a single braid VT.

It's more like a single cord Auto Block, where as the Auto Block is made with a closed loop, the hitchhiker hitch is made the same way but with an open length of cordage.

The stopper knots look like the Stevedore knot.

Back