Anyone built a carriage for Ripsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquan8tor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey there folks. I've been doing some searching on the net for plans for a ripsaw carriage. I'm relatively handy, and don't think I want to pay $800 for the SIR/Better Built carriage assembly. Some of my future milling will have to be done in the woods, but I'd love to do as much as possible at home, where I can sticker it and put it right under cover immediately.

The betterbuilt brand carriage is relatively simple--welded galvanized pipe over a polypropylene or similar rolling wheel system. I can't quite picture how to fashion a double threaded rod system to hold the mill up. I get how to mount the threaded rods, and grease them, with washers to hold the mill at a certain height; but I can't quite figure out how to turn both rods at the same time; adjusting the height by a few turns on each side at a time doesn't seem like a good plan. Anyone done this themselves?? Thanks fellas.

I got around to digging out the cd with pictures of Woodshops resaw stand. I'll try to get them resized and zipped, you might want to take a look at it before building a carriage assembly. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with the 084...

Ive never built one for a Ripsaw but I did one for a CSM. I used bicycle parts and allthread to raise and lower the platform.View attachment 44801

View attachment 44802

View attachment 44803

View attachment 44806 Hope these help a little. Good luck.

NICE!!!!! Dusty, that is the kind of thing I want to see!!! It's perfect for my needs. And, I've got enough old bedframes around to make the carriage part. Nothing long enough for the rails though. Angle iron is cheap enough. Just gotta bribe a friend with a welder. And convince mom her old bike is trash.

FLHT01, no worries. I'm very interested in that as well; maybe some kind of combination setup with heavy timber framing & loading ramp out of some of the dead oaks up in the woods. Now that I finally have the lewis winch, I can get them out!!!! Now I just have to find the time to get up there and rent a trailer to get 'em home. Load by load by load. I only have a little 4X4Tacoma, so it'll be 5000lbs at a time...very slowly on the hills (4banger). Yeah, I know...hard on the little thing and all, but I won't be doing it all the time; just enough to get a few loads home.

I got around to digging out the cd with pictures of Woodshops resaw stand. I'll try to get them resized and zipped, you might want to take a look at it before building a carriage assembly. Sorry for the delay, I've been busy with the 084...

hopefully you've been busy using it, not fixing it! I'm way overdue to rebuild my carb. :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

damn that sucks. I almost bought an 084 recently. Maybe it was that one. Glad I didn't if it was. I decided anyway that my 394 is fine for now. BTW, I don't know what I'd do without a decompression valve on my saw, and I've got about 30 less cc's than yours!!!! :hmm3grin2orange: Good luck with the beast there.

Nate

Latest posts

Back