anyone burn basswood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less heat content than eastern cottonwood. I guess you can take it from there. It dries to about the same density as balsa and willow. Very easy for your wife to load into the stove, however. ;)

This.

It burns. I will not go out of my way for it.

spring

save a cord for spring mornings.burns for 2 hours or so.k

It'll make smoke, where there's smoke there's fire, where there's fire there's heat. But like above reply's, don't bust yer hump for it, cause it don't last long!

I was working on a fancy new house where we where milling trim out of basswood, and it smelled like pickles. I really don't have anything else to add other than it was light and milled really well on the router table and tablesaw.

Dan

I personally don't use Basswood or Silver Maple for home heating. Be OK for a camp fire or such. Like a friend of mine from Kentucky says about the less desirable woods, "Burns better than snowballs in January" though. :laugh:

:cheers:
Gregg,

I recall an old timer from my youth telling me it made more heat from wasted gas in the saw and splitter to cut and stack it than it made in the stove.

funny this came up now - haven't touched linden/basswood in 4 years. Just hauled a pickup load I was begged to take away.

Diagnosis: not a lot of heat from well seasoned splits - lots of ash, and the only species my wife complained about since it took a lot in the firebox to bake a pizza.

I rank it lower than pine snd popple, but better than icicles

That's very valable wood for making electric guitars. You can take a Basswood 2 x 6 and knock it with your knuclkes and it rings like a bell. Excellent for carving. Send it to the mill.

That's very valable wood for making electric guitars. You can take a Basswood 2 x 6 and knock it with your knuclkes and it rings like a bell. Excellent for carving. Send it to the mill.

i got a whole dang forest full of them things. i could ship a truck load of 12" dia logs to you every day for a month. wanna start up a guitar business? id love to see em gone

To the OP... i have found it to be an ok heat source but it only burns for about 30min and then its all ashes. it has to be cut green and split within a couple months or itll rot. give it 8-10mo to cure and then burn it. whatever you dont burn that year will most likely have rotted by next year.

i find i get more joy out of basswood than heat. sometimes i take a standing dead rotted one or even a live one and hollow out a spot to put 1lb of tanerite. shoot it and watch it explode. if at first it doesnt fall the first time then repeat the process. :D

i got a whole dang forest full of them things. i could ship a truck load of 12" dia logs to you every day for a month. wanna start up a guitar business? id love to see em gone

The Germans make tea out of them thingys that blooms on 'em. Or pod or what are they?!

Latest posts

Back