anyone burn basswood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
It'll make smoke, where there's smoke there's fire, where there's fire there's heat. But like above reply's, don't bust yer hump for it, cause it don't last long!

mountainmandan

mountainmandan

ArboristSite Operative
I was working on a fancy new house where we where milling trim out of basswood, and it smelled like pickles. I really don't have anything else to add other than it was light and milled really well on the router table and tablesaw.

Dan

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
funny this came up now - haven't touched linden/basswood in 4 years. Just hauled a pickup load I was begged to take away.

Diagnosis: not a lot of heat from well seasoned splits - lots of ash, and the only species my wife complained about since it took a lot in the firebox to bake a pizza.

I rank it lower than pine snd popple, but better than icicles

Jakers

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
That's very valable wood for making electric guitars. You can take a Basswood 2 x 6 and knock it with your knuclkes and it rings like a bell. Excellent for carving. Send it to the mill.

i got a whole dang forest full of them things. i could ship a truck load of 12" dia logs to you every day for a month. wanna start up a guitar business? id love to see em gone

Jakers

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
To the OP... i have found it to be an ok heat source but it only burns for about 30min and then its all ashes. it has to be cut green and split within a couple months or itll rot. give it 8-10mo to cure and then burn it. whatever you dont burn that year will most likely have rotted by next year.

i find i get more joy out of basswood than heat. sometimes i take a standing dead rotted one or even a live one and hollow out a spot to put 1lb of tanerite. shoot it and watch it explode. if at first it doesnt fall the first time then repeat the process. :D

Latest posts