Anyone changed file sizes in a 2 for 1 Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgeb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a couple/few 2 in 1's for 3/16 files. Anyone put a larger file(s) (7/32) in it? I don't have the files to switch out yet obviously a little larger but was thinking if I can't brute force it in the 2 in 1 I can drill out the file holes a little. May not take the rakers down enough but I generally go over the rakers separately with a Dremel about every 4th or 5th sharpening.

The Stihl branded ones use the Stihl size files. I have one for 3/8 that I put the standard oregon files in and it took way more fenangling than you would expect. Hindnsight being 20/20, I should have just bought the one from Pferd that uses standard size files.

If you're wanting to make a 3/8 pitch file work 3/8p, then just buy the one for 3/8p. The Stihl ones require Sthi files. The ones from Pferd use standard size files. I don't think you could use them across different size chains as the the rakers wouldn't be set to the right depth

https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-17304P...harpener&qid=1611679223&sprefix=pferd+&sr=8-3

The Stihl ones require Sthi files. The ones from Pferd use standard size files.

https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-17304P...harpener&qid=1611679223&sprefix=pferd+&sr=8-3

No, the one you linked to is for 0.404" pitch chain. It may work, but the top plate guides will not be in the same position as they are on the ones made for 3/8" pitch chain.

I was in the same dilemma. I bought four of the Pferd ones. One for the 3/8" LP, 3/8", 0.325" and 0.404" pitch. The 3/8 pitch one comes with 13/64" files. The 0.404" pitch one comes with the 7/32" files, which is what you linked to above.

Pferd 17300: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide 5/32" (4.0mm) for 3/8LP Chain
Pferd 17301: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide - 3/16" (4.8mm) for .325 Chain
Pferd 17303: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide -13/64" (5.16 mm) for 3/8 Chain
Pferd 17304: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide -7/32" (5.5 mm) for .404 Chain

I bought the 17303 and swapped out the 13/64" files for the slightly larger 7/32" files I already had. Like you said, it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

Here they are on Pferd's website:
https://www.pferd.com/us-en/product...r/1-8-chain-sharp-csx-w-round-and-flat-files/

No, the one you linked to is for 0.404" pitch chain. It may work, but the top plate guides will not be in the same position as they are on the ones made for 3/8" pitch chain.

I was in the same dilemma. I bought four of the Pferd ones. One for the 3/8" LP, 3/8", 0.325" and 0.404" pitch. The 3/8 pitch one comes with 13/64" files. The 0.404" pitch one comes with the 7/32" files, which is what you linked to above.

Pferd 17300: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide 5/32" (4.0mm) for 3/8LP Chain
Pferd 17301: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide - 3/16" (4.8mm) for .325 Chain
Pferd 17303: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide -13/64" (5.16 mm) for 3/8 Chain
Pferd 17304: Pferd CS-X™ Chain Sharp Precision Filing Guide -7/32" (5.5 mm) for .404 Chain

I bought the 17303 and swapped out the 13/64" files for the slightly larger 7/32" files I already had. Like you said, it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

Here they are on Pferd's website:
https://www.pferd.com/us-en/product...r/1-8-chain-sharp-csx-w-round-and-flat-files/
Yeah I, clicked the wrong link... Lol. But yes, the Pferd ones are all available in whatever pitch is needed. After making the Stihl one use common files, I can say is easier just to buy the one you need. Modifying them to fit different size files isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah I, clicked the wrong link... Lol. But yes, the Pferd ones are all available in whatever pitch is needed. After making the Stihl one use common files, I can say is easier just to buy the one you need. Modifying them to fit different size files isn't worth the hassle.
I don't think you are understanding me completely. You can't buy either one (Pferd or Stihl flavor) with a 3/8" pitch AND 7/32" files. If you could, I would have. I bought the Pferd version for 3/8" pitch and removed the 13/64" files and replaced them with the standard 7/32" files. If you were to buy the one with the standard 7/32" files it would be for a .404" pitch chain.........for both the Stihl and Pferd.

The best place to get the pferd is centerline distribution. The have all the sizes, and all the replacement files, even the flat raker file. I just ordered files last week.

They have the round files in classic and premium.

I should have had them today, but USPS is playing hide and go seek with the package.

Ahhhh I gotcha now. My mistake!

Still, I'd recommend getting the right one for the pitch, then get the right files to fit the tool. Trying to retrofit a different size file into the tools isn't as easy at it sounds.

Back